Combination Boiler or Condensing Boiler

Hi all,

I've just had my house converted to gas from electric only. I having central heating put in. Which, in your opinion, is better, a combination boiler or condensing?

I have a 2 bed semi and can build on the side in future. I have a downstairs loo along with the bathroom upstairs.

The fitters seem to like the combination boiler as they are easier to put in. Help as I know little about DIY!

TH

Reply to
Tyler

A combination boiler can also be a condensing boiler - in fact under current regs all new boilers (except in some very exceptional circumstances) must be of the condensing type, as they result in less pollution, are more efficient, and cheaper to run.

The main downside of combination boiler compared to conventional boilers with a hot water storage tank is that the hot water flow rate is sometimes not very good (depends on your mains pressure and flow rate), specially when filling a bath, and the hot water temperature (eg in the shower) can be affected by someone turning on another tap, or the washing machine starting to fill.

There are more knowledgeable people on here who can give more advice on how to choose which is best for you situation.

My son has just installed a condensing combi in a 3 bed semi and he's very happy with it.

David.

Reply to
DavidM

A combi condensing boiler will need a good water supply to work well. I have a condensing regular boiler because my water supply is poor - it is ok until the neighbours open a tap, and then it reduces to a trickle. A combi boiler heats the water 'on the fly' as it goes through the boiler from the mains supply to your shower, bath, hot taps. Imagine a poor mains supply and trying to shower as you neighbours turn taps on and off etc.

A combi will not need a hot tank/airing cupboard whereas a regular boiler will need one - do you have a space to put a hot tank/airing cupboard?

If you get a combi make sure you get one powerful enough for your requirements i.e. one that can heat the water at a fast enough rate so that you get a godd flow rate of hot water.

Reply to
nafuk

Thanks

Reply to
Tyler

Thank you

Reply to
Tyler

So your existing system is a storage one with immersion heater in a cylinder?

That's two questions.

Near all new boilers these days have to be condensing types to meet the regs on efficiency.

A combi boiler gives instant hot water - it doesn't store it like your present system. So it will give unlimited hot water. However, what it won't do is deliver hot water at the temperature and flow rate you're used to from a storage system. This won't matter much for doing the washing up or maybe even for a shower but will if you like baths - they will take much longer to fill.

The more outlets used at once the more the downsides of a combi become apparent.

You've got it in one.

Installing a combi means you can get rid of the storage cylinder. That might well be a plus. It also means if the boiler breaks down you loose the hot water as well as the heating. If you go for a non combi boiler you will still have your immersion as a back up. The choice really is yours. I've stuck with a storage system and a condensing boiler.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 01:47:49 -0800 (PST) someone who may be Tyler wrote this:-

If you are planning to add a bedroom or two then a storage system is going to be better in the long run. It would be worth sizing and positioning the hot water cylinder so it is ready for the extension.

Now would also be a good time to consider solar heating of the hot water and install a suitable cylinder, even if you don't install the panel for the moment.

has a suitable range and there are others like

There is a lot to be said for a thermal store (taking the appropriate precautions if you are in a hard water area), but this may be too much for the people who are doing it.

If yo are not planning a large extension then a two bedroom house is on the balance point where the choice between combination boilers and storage systems can be finely balanced.

Whatever choice you make on the boiler ensure the hot water pipes are properly insulated. Also insulate any heating pipes in places like under the floorboards downstairs.

Reply to
David Hansen

I was originally an enthusiast for the combi-solution (no cylinder etc). my enthusiasm has waned under the following circumstances:

a) a wife who unerringly knows when I'm having a shower and flushes the toilet, turns on the washing machine or otherwise causes an interruption to the flow. b) a slow flow rate. I think I was sold a pup - or rather an under powered package the bloke wanted rid of c) an annoyingly aggressive "anti-cycling" 'feature' for want of a better word, which means the boiler doesn't provide hot water for a certain time after it haws already provided a certain amount. Bloody useless if you've run the bath, and then want a bit more hot, 'cos I have to have a bit more warm and cold before the boiler graces me with its presence again. d) What about insulating the hot pipes? In retrospect I'd have done that especially as I have a few long runs.

Just my 2p

Reply to
no spam here, thanks

I've recently had a combi boiler fitted in our 3 bedroom semi.

We shower, and the shower over the bath does not seem to be adversley afffected by someone flushing the loo or turning on a cold tap or the dishwasher.

We do have a very good cold mains supply, and a reasonably poweful boiler.

Mains supply is the killer - you will probably note this from the posts which regret a combi.

A 3 bedroom semi with one bathroom should generally be O.K. for a combi.

If you want a second bathroom then water storage (probably with a pump for power showers) is probably a better option.

We are happy with the extra storage space in the loft, and the extra cupboard space where the hot water cylinder was.

The main downside of combis is implied in the name; everything combined in one unit. If one bit fails you could lose heating and hot water.

HTH

Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

In message , Tyler writes

There's no either /or

A combination boiler gives central heating and "instant" hot water. Combination boilers may or may not be condensing boilers

By law (more or less) if you fit a new boiler now, it must be a condensing one

go look it up

Reply to
geoff

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 17:07:08 -0000 someone who may be "David W.E. Roberts" wrote this:-

A shower coil can be fitted into a conventional hot water cylinder. This will provide mains pressure hot water for showers, without any pumps (in the house).

Reply to
David Hansen

What's a shower coil?

Maris

Reply to
Maris

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 09:34:06 +0000 someone who may be Maris wrote this:-

David Hansen