Where would I ask?

Cheers. Well, the manual says start with File, new. But there's no file menu, and no equivalent as far as I can tell. There's a Project menu, but no new or anything like it. If that's solvable then I can ask what adding a video clip even means.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Will take a look at the menus when I get home to find out exactly what to click but conceptually the following might help

If you think of a project as being the movie you are creating. The movie is then shot in various sections (scenes) with background music added etc etc. This means you will have many video / audio clips you need to mess about with (e.g. cut bits out, add visual effects, overlay music etc etc) and ultimately glue together to form the movie.

In Kdenlive, you create a new project then add the clips you need to it so you can manipulate them. At the bottom is a timeline which is in essence your movie. You then drag the various clips to the correct place on the timeline and manipulate them as needed. You will see there are multiple video and audio tracks. This is because you may need to have more than one playing at the same time - eg overlaying new sound track or transitioning from one to another etc. You can also add effects to the timeline to do all sorts of things to both the video and audio.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

That explains a thing or 2 :) The menus are: notext, notext, project, tool, clip, timeline, monitor, view, notext. Project does not include anything that looks at all like 'new'.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The "notext" menu options sounds like you have a corrupt install. The first menu is supposed to be file so what happens when you click the first "notext"? I would uninstall and reinstall the latest version and go from there? Which OS are you on?

Reply to
Lee Nowell

Mint 17.3 cinnamon. Just did 'remove completely' then reinstall, but it's exactly the same. I notice it didn't redownload any files, not sure where to delete them from though. First notext menu only lists dvd wizard, transcode clips. 2nd notext has paste effects, find, find next.

Linux sure is harder to fix - thankfully it rarely needs it. The complete opposite of w98.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I just downloaded and installed Kdenlive on Windows to take a look at it. At first it was awful. Clicking on new brought up the new project window, but things were very difficult to see and the text on the OK and Cancel buttons was invisible.

It was only after looking very hard that I faintly saw File, Edit, View, Project, Tool, Clip, Timeline, Monitor, View, Settings, Help faintly across the top of the screen and Settings>Colour themes>Breeze made everything clear.

The default theme does not seem to work (on Windows 10 at least).

I'll have to take a closer look at it now as a replacmement for Pinnacle Studio and Roxio. It does look interesting.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I run it on Ubuntu 16.04 and it works fine. What Steve describes as the menus sounds about right. I assume it is written in Java so wonder if there is a conflict with your JRE or something. I would download a fresh copy and try installing that.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

If you google "kdenlive has +notext menus" there are a few articles and videos which might help fix the install

Reply to
Lee Nowell

Well, there's no settings menu, but there is notext, themes, but its only option is default. I really doubt that's the problem though, there's nothing unclear about the menu or buttons.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I will if I find out where it's stored. I'm not at all familiar with Mint OS's file layout.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Feeding that to the duck got no useful results, but Yahoo did. Time to search for bad config files.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No, it's compiled from C++

Reply to
Andy Burns

I guess as a tester, you could burn a Ubuntu live CD and boot the PC up with that. I assume you would then be able to temporarily load Kdenlive to have a play and see if you like it / worth the hassle of fixing it.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

This might help

Looks like the same way I installed in Ubuntu. I assume you can do a apt-grt purge to get rid of it

Reply to
Lee Nowell

didn't realise anything could be installed on a live session, will try that, ta.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr