Where to get materials for building a set of tall bookcases

Hello all,

I've got a plan to build some tall bookcases (double-door cupboard at the bottom - 4 shelves on top) and I've drawn myself a plan, and made all the measurements, planned all the joints and bought all the tools - all I need to do know is get hold of some suitable material for making it out of. I even bought a couple of furniture building books to help me along the way.

Can anyone recommend what sort of wood I should use? I plan to paint it all white, so aren't really concerned with the grain or stain.

Also - if I approach a timber merchant - will they but the wood up into the right sizes for me? Or even just sizes that I can fit into my car?

Look foward to any advice proferred...

Many thanks, Neil.

Reply to
text.news.ntlworld.com

A mix of MDF, birch ply and biscuit joints. Birch ply for the uprights and spans, because it has a better stiffness / weight ratio (MDF gets really heavy, in suitable thicknesses to take the weight of books). Use an intermediate vertical support, and a strong backboard attached to the shelves, otherwise you'll see sagging trouble with books.

A good timber supplier (I recommend Avon Plywood local to me) will cut it accurately to any size you like. Allowing them a few days to do this makes them more helpful and more accurate. Usually they charge some nominal fee, but allow you a few cuts per sheet for free. They have a nice panel saw for doing it, so they'll be better at it than you are.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

IS that Stratford side of the Avon? Would do for me too

Actually, just checked them out on the web. BRISTO

-- kafkaian

Reply to
kafkaian