Where to buy decking

Because we are Luddites. USA, Canada, Australia, NZ all build wooden frame houses.

Reply to
TMH

But the house won't.

Reply to
TMH

depends, I think median lifetime of a house is 100 years

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think it's closer to 150 years.

Reply to
Capitol

I wouldn't argue with that either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, I've lived in them and worked on them, they are regarded as expendable and have continual maintenance bills during their short life. In the south US, they can be regarded as termite food!

Reply to
Capitol

That will be why the majority of new build UK house are timber framed then?

As anyone who knows anything knows, timber lasts forever unless it gets damp.

The key is to not have the timber frame anywhere near the outside.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Basically a simple rectangle 9500 wide by about 2500 deep. Boards to run front to back. Was going to use the 2.4m boards to avoid cuts.

I see the Q-Deck boards are 27x144. I saw an offer on 38x125 yesterday, which should be stronger:

James Harris

300 years of discomfort...?
Reply to
James Harris

Having experienced both, you're talking crap. Falling over is always painful and a friend broke her hip with a fall onto a wooden step!

Reply to
Capitol

Strength isn't really an issue. The Q Deck ones are fine with joists at

600mm centres.

The grooves are wrong on those boards.

Deck boards used in the USA etc are plain on one side & have stress grooves on the other. They are laid plain side up, the grooves are only there to prevent the board from 'cupping'. When first inroduced into the UK market people assumed the grooves were for anti slip reasons and laid them that way up. The grooves fill with muck and become a slip hazzard.

Have a look at the Q Deck Winchester board. It has stress grooves on one side & raised ribs on the other. Raised ribs are the surface.

Reply to
TMH

What's so good about Q Deck?

The smooth-surface boards look tempting.

Much nicer under foot or to sit on etc.

I would have thought such boards would become slippery but since they are manufactured I guess I was wrong.

Reply to
James Harris

That's simplistic. There are lots of half timbered houses around going back 500 plus years...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

and there are a hell of a lot more that didnt make it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's a category error. You only see the ones that have survived.

Reply to
Huge

Actually, the term is survivorship bias.

Ours is only 300yo, and we're finding bodges going back most of that time as we fix it...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Ah, yes, thank you.

Ours a mere 150 ...

Reply to
Huge

I bought all mine at Wickes .. had a 20% off vocher plus a VAT free weekend so got 40% off - and it is very good product.

Reply to
rick