Where can I get brick acid?

I want to clean our chimney stack which is covered with 70 years of grime and pollution. It's convenient to do it at the moment whilst we are having a new roof fitted and the scaffolding is up, so I'll get the roofer to do it (you won't get me up there!). To that end, I want something you can literally just tip on (brick acid?). Unfortunately, I was informed by the bloke at the counter at Travis Perkins there's no such product now, due to health and safety regs, and could only offer some non-specific brick and patio cleaner - the likes of which I've wasted to much money on before.

Can anyone recommend a product and where I might get it at short notice (ie tomorrow!)? Thanks.

Reply to
keiron99

That's a common trick at Travis Perkins, if they don't stock something it doesn't exist, only because they want to sell you their stuff.

I got some only a few weeks ago so it is still made, try small hardware stores, mine was about £4 for a gallon, but don't expect miracles, acid will only usually remove alkali type stuff, so general discolouration of bricks will not be affected, although algy and mortar stains will.

Reply to
Phil L

Do it *before*

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I don't think brick acid would do a lot of good in this situation - a pressure washer is probably a better bet.

Reply to
Rob Morley

They do atock it, or at least they did a few months ago the last time I bought some. Travis Perkins Mortar Cleaner - 16% hydrochloric acid.

Reply to
Rob Morley

You definately don't want brick acid. The only thing it will clean is the mortar out from between the bricks, which is a really bad idea. The dirt up there probably isn't susceptable to removal by acid, as rain would have washed it off. I'm afraid I can't think of anything you could simply pour over without also some surface scrubbing with a soft brush. Beware that chimneys were often built with expensive facing bricks, which can be very soft and easily damaged by hard brushing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Agreed.

Standard issue for this is sandblaster or pressure washer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher