Where can I find one of those old cylinder / cannon / barrack room stoves?

I am looking for one of those very old stoves, I am not sure what they are called; perhaps cannon stove, cylinder stove or barrack room stove. They stand about 1m high x 25cm wide and feature a hot plate at the top and a flue pipe at the rear, just under the hot plate.

Can anyone advise where I might get one? Condition is unimportant.

Reply to
Peter

Google finds

a host of others but I have no knowledge of the firm or product.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Something like this ?

Colin Wilson

Go ask a crusty and find out who the local converter of gas bottles into woodstoves is. On our street, it's me. This guy makes nice ones too

Mart sell plenty of them, but they're not cheap and they're cast iron. Steel is lighter and less likely to crack.

Woodstoves are different in design from coal or coke stoves. You need the right one. IMHE, I've never been too impressed with dual fuel attempts.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The style I want is more of a 'diet' design from the 1930's, i.e. without the pot-belly. Just like a little rocket. I can see why somebody suggested it was called a 'cannon' stove. Apparently they were very popular in their day.

Reply to
Peter

What's a crusty?

Why does that not surprise me!

I'd like to see pictures of yours.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

============ They might have been made by 'Cannon' - I think they still make stoves, cookers etc.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Why do I feel a Finbarr Saunders moment coming on?

Reply to
Gary Cavie

New Age traveller eco-warrior type with dreadlocks, combat boots and ethnic hat, plays the didgeridoo ...

(okay, that's hardly definitive but it's typical).

Reply to
Rob Morley

Ah - I get the picture, thanks. Never heard the word in that context before :-)

We used to call 'em tinkers.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Peter wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

2 in every RAF hut.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

and the occasional very pink serviceman.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Cast iron has a number of attributes in stoves, something to do with how carbon occupies the sites oxygen might attempt to attack the iron.

Yes you need to provide far more secondary air.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

"Rob Morley" wrote | > What's a crusty? | New Age traveller eco-warrior type with dreadlocks, combat boots | and ethnic hat, plays the didgeridoo ... | (okay, that's hardly definitive but it's typical).

Oh, you mean a Linux systems manager :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It's what you find at the other end of the lead from a Bristol string terrier.

_Not_ a "tinker" though. Quite a different crew.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mary Fisher" saying something like:

Now that's not something you see every day.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I found a picture. This is the design of stove I am looking for.

anyone identify what it is or who it was manufactured by? This photo was taken in Berlin, Germany.

Reply to
Peter

These are a bit nicer, don't you think?

Rob Morley

Oh. I often wondered what my English neighbour did ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

that rooftop boudoir in Moulin Rouge without her vest on. If you have to heat a Belle Epoque knocking-shop, they'd be just the ticket.

Reply to
Andy Dingley