When was this waste pipe used?

Continuing to turn the old bathroom into daughters bedroom, extending ringmain and installing backboxes yesterday.

Pulling out some old waste pipe, it was not like the stuff used nowadays, plastic, copper coloured, with some sort of fibre/mesh re-inforcement in it. Just wondered when this was used?

Just out of interest, from the POV of the history of the house really.

I was also surprised not to find any sockets, or ring main cable hidden away anywhere, as there was another room that was the first bathrooom put in the house in the 1960's , and I assumed this room was a bedroom at the time the current wiring was installed (late 1960's early '70's ?)

Reply to
Chris French

Maybe a pic on/for the wiki might gather additional readers

Presumably the previous wiring was 30s at the latest, at which time it was normal not to have any socket provision in bedrooms

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The first solid thermoplastic waste pipe (will remember the name after I press enter) was bronze / tarnished copper coloured and, when sawn, white "filaments" were stretched out at the cut looking somewhat like fibre reinforcement.

Reply to
newshound

In message , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

Good point, I'll have a go later.

IIRC, there was no significant electricity in the house until the late

1960's. We have a copy of the sale particulars from 1966 and it might have had a supply, but not really used much. Still very much as it was in the 1920's - gas lighting, no bathrooms, coal range etc.

When we bought the house there were two bathrooms - one old one probably dating from late '60's (bath was made in 1965) and not really used. A second one used as both an ensuite and a house bathroom. We thought this one was probably installed in the 1990's by the previous owner, but it might be that it was installed earlier.

Reply to
Chris French

I think around the 70's. Found some here behind the old kitchen units. It was in the way so attacked it with a hacksaw. ssssssss water appears. Some one had used it as duct for the rising main... Fortunately I knew where the outside stop c*ck is. 20 yards down the road, in the verge, under 6" of grass roots and where my stop c*ck key was as it's too deep to reach by hand.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hmm, odd, I can see what you mean on the swan but the first bit I took out I bent and split to out in the bin and it certainly seemed to have mesh in it.

Anyway, this was the stuff:

I've since noticed the markings on a length of the pipe which says Bartol and 11/74, presumably the production date, so that put's it in the 1970's as Dave L suggests.

And no Mr Plumber (or who ever installed it)

Having a about 2m unsupported under the floor was not a good idea, it sagged into a loop that held water and meant that the shower never drained properly (the shower was diagonally across a 4m wide room from the soil pipe)

Reply to
Chris French