What wood you do?

These two white oaks (Quercus robur in England, Q. alba in America) are quite hard to distinguish. They both darken (very) slowly on exposure and any difference between them is no more than the difference between trees in separate woodlands.

Not only that, the sapwood is much lower in tannin (why the bugs prefer it) and so won't colour as much, from either time or ammonia.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thin enough to dry fairly quickly, but thick enough that you can resaw it after drying and after the board has cupped, and you'll still have two usable resawn boards from the middle of it.

If you quarter-saw instead, it'll cup less and you might initially saw it to 1" instead.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ta for that - so the answer is that anything will split, which is less confusing to me.

Reply to
Clive George

I was going to mount the mechanism behind with a spindle through the disc. If I drill a small hole in the center of the rings now that will stop it splitting by letting the outer rings contract?

I've got the pieces down and have painted PVA on the ends. Before I split them I was wondering is there any advantage to applying PVA the face where they split?

Reply to
Chade