Circuit diagram software recommendations?

Hello,

I am looking for a simple application (Windows 7) for generating electronic/electrical circuit diagrams.

I have a copy of Visio 2007 but this is overkill for what I want to achieve, and frankly bloody awkward for the free-form annotation of (say) the connections of an op amp.

There seem to be dozens of potential apps out there, but before I spend hours trying them all, I wonder of there is any freeware / shareware / cheapware anyone can particularly recommend.

Thanks in advance.

david

Reply to
Vortex10

In message , Vortex10 wrote

basic designs, the software for both circuit diagrams and pcb layout is free (they make their money from you wanting a physical PCB from them)

I've mainly used it for basic PCB layouts and found it relatively easy to use.

I've used this method of producing PCBs using "free" paper and a laser printer

just need to get your head around producing reverse images.

Reply to
Alan

Are you using it just for schematics or to produce a PCB from too?

I'd be interested in any answers. It's one of the reasons I keep this old Acorn - I use a version of Draw with my own library of symbols. For doing just schematics. But of course I'm fairly up to speed with this prog - another might be just as good or better once learned.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

Both - there are two separate programmes and if the circuit is draw in one the layout can be linked but I have not used them in this way. I have used one programme to produce circuit diagrams (albeit not too complicated) and the other to produce a couple of simple prototype layouts (different design) and then used the laser printer method to make the boards thus requiring some thought about using through hole components as surface mount components on the "wrong" side of the board.

There is a quick guide to what it does under the FreeCAD Software link on their opening page.

Reply to
Alan

Vortex10 ( snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.hernibles.com) wibbled on Sunday 06 February 2011

08:30:

PCB - has a decent schematic (circuit diagram) editor) - free upto certain PCB limits, don't think the limist cut in on the schematic editor.

Runs on Windows 7 and everything else (Mac, Linux).

Reply to
Tim Watts

In my case I have no interest in making PCB's, merely documenting various stuff I have made. In particular I would like to make a definitive wiring diagram for my heating controls, and a simple load controller I have made for dumping surplus solar PV into an immersion heater.

I'll try out expresspcb later (Lark Rise to candleford avoidance presents the perfect excuse).

D D
Reply to
Vortex10

I use PaintShopPro with a library of symbols, eg:

Draw on RISC OS:

jgharston

Have you thought of using Paint? (The program that comes with Windows, not the stuff in tins!)

There are no rules to be learnt, no help files to wade through and you can make your own symbols to suit yourself if you can't find something suitable elsewhere.

Here's an example to get you started - just copy and paste as required - I usually have two copies of Paint open, one for the library and the other for the schematic.

link on this page:

contain additional symbols.

One tip if you are creating/editing symbols: use zoom to blow it up nice and big; that way it is easy to edit with pixel precision.

Here's an alternative symbol set:

sounds as if you will want a mix of both electical and electronic symbols. Perhaps someone else has some suggestions? Or, as I said, just create your own!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Terry Casey ( snipped-for-privacy@example.invalid) wibbled on Sunday 06 February 2011

14:30:

Until you want to move something around... I would at least grab Inkscape

build)

At least it is a vector program.

But Eagle is piss easy to learn withut resorting to a manual - the only problem comes if you are doing something that needs lots of new "components"

- but even they aren't hard to design - googling oftem finds a set someone else has areay done.

Reply to
Tim Watts

yenka free download

misterroy

Reply to
jgharston

At school we used a program called Crocodile Clips. A Google search suggests it's still available.

Reply to
Krycek

What's that Valve, 2nd line down on the extreme right?...

Got most of the others OK apart from the other one like it!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Reply to
BartC

Double-diode-triode, as used in almost every '4+1' AM superhet (1940s 'til transistors took over). One diode was the envelope detector, the other was the 'delayed' AGC rectifier and the triode was the first AF stage. Surely you remember...

Reply to
Andy Wade

Rather Buck Rogers.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Humm .. rather before my time I reckon;!.. Got a type number for one of they at all?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Try googling for MULLARD TDD2A

Reply to
John Williamson

There were loads of them: 6SQ7(G/GT), EBC41, EBC81, etc. were all very common.

Here's a page full:

Andy Wade

In fact a bl^^dy long time ago no wonder I'm forgetting a bit;!..

Reply to
tony sayer