What wood would .....

Having broken up some old kitchen units and put the supporting frame on an open fire the wood burns quickly and pops quite a bit, and it doesn't last for long when burning. It's light in colour and quite light in wieght too and you can quite easily mark it with a finger nail, so I was wondering wha t this wood is........ other than cheap rubbish, what sort of tree does it come from and is coated with something that;s causing the pops. ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

put the supporting frame on an open fire the wood burns quickly and pops quite a bit, and it doesn't last for long when burning. It's light in colour and quite light in wieght too and you can quite easily mark it with a finger nail, so I was wondering what this wood is........ other than cheap rubbish, what sort of tree does it come from and is coated with something that;s causing the pops. ?

Tree wood

Reply to
Eric

n open fire the wood burns quickly and pops quite a bit, and it doesn't las t for long when burning.  It's light in colour and quite light in wieght too and you can quite easily mark it with a finger nail, so I was wondering what this wood is........ other than cheap rubbish, what sort of tree does it come from and is coated with something that;s causing the pops. ?

Likley to be birch.

Reply to
harry

something that;s causing the pops. ?

The birch we get as logs doesn't snap crackle or pop, it burns fairly slowly and reasonably hot. Density is medium, a log weighs what you'd expect a log to weigh, it's not light weight, it's not easy to mark with a finger nail. Birch isn't in the "cheap rubbish" class either.

What does snap crackle and pop are some bits of "pine" (but not all) or

ex-pallet wood (mostly). I don't know what the really snappy stuff is, something foreign I expect, it doesn't look like a "pine". But is a softwood of some sort.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

ISTR leylandii being very snap crackle and pop

NT

Reply to
meow2222

open fire the wood burns quickly and pops quite a bit, and it doesn't last for long when burning. It's light in colour and quite light in wieght too and you can quite easily mark it with a finger nail, so I was wondering what this wood is........ other than cheap rubbish, what sort of tree does it come from and is coated with something that;s causing the pops. ?

Describes some burning characteristics.

Reply to
polygonum

open fire the wood burns quickly and pops quite a bit, and it doesn't last for long when burning. It's light in colour and quite light in wieght too and you can quite easily mark it with a finger nail, so I was wondering what this wood is........ other than cheap rubbish, what sort of tree does it come from and is coated with something that;s causing the pops. ?

Maybe it is lava wood (comes off the lavatory)

Reply to
F Murtz

Does burning wood go against the grain.. Its probably a cheap softwood of some kind. Often if untreated and in a house for a long time it does very much get dry and kind of soft I've found. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes now that they are not thrashing kids with it it needs a new use.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

open fire the wood burns quickly and pops quite a bit, and it doesn't last for long when burning. It's light in colour and quite light in wieght too and you can quite easily mark it with a finger nail, so I was wondering what this wood is........ other than cheap rubbish, what sort of tree does it come from and is coated with something that;s causing the pops. ?

Could be poplar, light, cheap and takes paint and other finishes easily.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

yes. Poplar. Use to make liteply.

A vile wood for burning - spits and bangs and doesn't burn at all well.,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For when a one iron won't do?

Reply to