What wood is this?

I've recently aquired a piece of board. It's about the width of worktop but is old and made from solid pieces about 7" wide and 30mm thick. I know I'm mixing units here, put it down to age. Anyway, the boards are joined by having groves in both edges and a tongue of what looks like pine inserted. The boards are hardwood, I suspect mahogany. It looks like it was mass produced by machine. The whole piece sands up beautifully but is quite heavy as you would expect. It's now a bath side panel waiting it's finish. I've not seen anything like this before. Anyone know what it's called and used for? I thought of bar or counter tops but the end view with the pine is not particularly attractive.

John

Reply to
John

Its probably exactly what you think it is..a hardwood top made by tongue and grooving thinner planks. Might be any one of some tropical hardwoods

- might even be cherry or something.

If there appears to be almost zero banding in the grain, that is generally a sign of a tropical wood with no summer/winter variation in growth. Mahogany - which covers a wide range of species - is typically very smooth grained and somewhat reddish.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds like 'butchers block' to me, see here:

is obviously a replica, but you get the drift

Reply to
Phil L

Thanks for the replies. Knowing where it came from, I suspect it started as a lab bench top. I suppose that's close to the buthchers block that Phil suggested. I always thought they showed the end grain. It's certainly taking a nice finish. It's a bit of a lump for a bath side but it should outlast me.

John

Reply to
John

Lab benches were often teak