What tool to cope with this large clip (auto)

Anyone know what tool is called to do/undo these type of hose clips (VW)? Have tried the usual, pliers long-nosed everything I have, circlip pliers not big enough etc.

The hose is about 3" diam so while can get the clip off with large pliers, cannot open them wide enough to close clip again so can slide it back in place! :-)

mike

Yes - I tried wp pliers - won't do it. The Clip expands so wide that even though the wpp's will open eough to grab the clip to get it off, they will then not close enough to bring the ends together enough again. So can't slide the clip over the buldge in the pipe and into place. A kind of lock-out situation. The wpp can get the thing off, it then springs wide open. Ah well, will make do somehow.

Reply to
mike

I have done those with water pump pliers, but if I were a mechanic doing it all the time I would want a tool specially designed for the job.

Reply to
GB

Slip joint (waterpump) pliers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

mike scribbled

G clamp ?

Reply to
Jonno

See:

or

I have a set similar to the first type - so much easier than buggering about with pliers, mole grips etc.

Reply to
Scott M

Can you improvise with a G Clamp?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Water pump pliers

David Lang

Use the water pump pliers and a cable tie. Close them as much as poss, tighten tie - repeat.

Reply to
David Lang

Give up and just and use a thin jubilee clip.

Reply to
alan_m

Son is a mechanic . He uses what he calls 'hose clip pliers' but they are really quite expensive for a one off . He says in extremis you can use (carefully) normal long nose pliers (borrowed from the boss who has a pair big enough ;O) )

Reply to
soup

In article , mike writes

I used to use a large 'Molegrip' -worked well and kept the clip open while you slid it off the hose.

Reply to
Chris Holford

Ok. But must admit I've never seemed to need any sort of special tool for this sort of clamp.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd guess with either those or slip joint pliers, you'd need ones with fairly long jaws.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1
Reply to