What timber to choose for this project?

None of which use tropical hardwoods.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Right. And the streets of London were never paved with Karri either.

You don't know as much as you think you do, but that seems to be some kind of natural constant.

Reply to
Bolted

The tropical hardwood of choice for truck frames and lorry decking was Meranti. This is one of the coarse-grained Africans and was imported for this purpose since around 1900 (maybe earlier). It's tough and resists impact damage well, not especially weather resistant (compared to other African tropicals) and it soon looks dull and grey so it was never a decorative wood. You haven't a hope using it for "fine high tolerance work".

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I wouldnt knoow.

I think I know more than you think I do.

I've been in vehicles from that period, and repaired them.

Never ever found any hardwood except maybe beech.

Always rough old tough old pine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh really?

Sorty

a typical isdroco replacement.

Also used as a veneer.

You haven't a hope using it for "fine high

I guess that's why they make widow frames out of it.

Or perhaps you don't know as much as you think you do.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do you see a bit of a difference there? Just because your map still has "The Empire" painted in red doesn't mean that it's the same continent, or the same species.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Just because you say 'african Mranti' doesn't mean that such a wood exists, or ever has.

I have searched the internet for wood such as you describe, and came up blank. All references to Meranti are of a group of speies that are coarser than, cheaper than, but similar to what is generally termed 'mahogany.

And suitable for machining - typically doors and window frames,. same as Iroco.

There is a reason why tropical woods are useful: The lack of seasons gives a good even grain. The further north or south of the equator the species exists, the more it tends to have a pronounced grain and the faster growing it is, the lighter it is.

So a poplar, is a moderately Northerly species with fast growth. Its Moderately grained and light. Ok grows at similar latitudes: Its moderately grained and heavy as its a slow grower.

The conifers, adapted for sub zero winters, have resinous natures, and very pronounced growth rings: the slower growing pines make very decent wood, if the pronounced grain is not an issue.

They wear badly though..soft wood alternates with hard, so they are never favourite for a fine varnished finish.

With the exception of teak, I cant think of a single tropical wood used

*structurally* as opposed to 'for appearance'.

In Europe, you don't import wood expensively when you can grow adequate woods locally.

Pine for serious structure, Oak for final strength, ash for lightness, beech for hardness, and spruce for making houses and bogrolls.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I made that mistake about a year back.Still trawling. :-)

Mark.

Reply to
mark

Scamell pioneer and explorers were renowned for the way the chassis was designed to flex, presumably to cope with cross axle problems. Apart from brief looks I'm not familiar with them.

I am a bit familiar with unipower and matador tractors ( and milly the 15 tonne lift militant) and I'm sure we cut some ash to restore a matador cab. The chap who converted the matadors as they were demobbed, for timber work, lived locally with his dad. An amazing fitter with one hand missing. The firm's lorry driver could tell who's matador Freddy had built for who many years later if he came across one.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

They were, OK its Aussie but it was definitely imported. Pall Mall, etc.

I know nothing about truck building but a quick google on truck coachbuilding and timber throws up this:

the whole question of what it is now is a side-issue - especially as it has failed (albeit way beyond design life). What is it best replaced with was the question as I understood it.

Reply to
Bolted