What's this sticky tape called?

The sort that looks a bit like decorators masking tape, but used in engineering to establish what clearances lie between mating surfaces by looking at indentations when parts are assembled?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Adrian Caspersz explained :

I know just what you mean, but sorry I cannot think of the name..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Replica tape.

harry

harry presented the following explanation :

I had in mind the material which compresses, so that measuring its thickness once the two surfaces are disassembled = you know what the clearance is between the faces.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Plastigauge?

Kevin

Kevin explained on 10/07/2019 :

That is the one I had in mind..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Isn't that plastiguage ?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

But it looks nothing like decorators masking tape

Graham.

Lead wire was an older method I have seen used to check the bearing clearance on a ships triple expansion engine. The engineer , the engine and probably the reel of the wire all dated from before the plastic age.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Never heard of that (although I spent years measuring rough surfaces, including taking replicas).

Our replica material of choice was Acrulite, this is just methyl methacrylate monomer which you mix with powdered polymer. It sets in a couple of minutes.

You can also get replicas using RTV silicone, either two pack putty as used by dentists for replication, or creamy liquids dispensed from a double tube syringe through a mixing nozzle.

Metallurgists have a clever technique for large, immovable plant. They grind and polish the surface finishing with micron diamond paste, then etch, then apply a drop of acetone and press a thin piece of acetate sheet on to the surface, and allow it to dry. Done well, the resulting replica, examined in a metallurgical microscope, gives almost as good an image as could be obtained from the original metal.

Reply to
newshound