What's a "cheeky" offer?

You could call it marketing or you could simply call it blatantly lying to the client. It is also deceiving many (generally first time) purchasers who are attracted by the low asking price, and them shell out £150 or so for a survey... at least now you can just check the land registry for similar properties in the area to get an idea of price and so you only have to pay a couple of quid for your ballpark valuation (this is pretty much what the surveryor does anyway to my knowledge)

the other factor in it is that the estate agent may also charge on a sliding scale.

0.5% for the offer price 1% for 5% over 1.5% for 10% over,

when they know pretty much exactly what the market value of the property is and what it will sell for anyway.

this sort of practice just puts them in the effing scum category up here as far as I'm concerned.

cheers

David

Reply to
David

Thre is no such thing as a derisory offer. Just an offer. If you don't like it then reject it. OTOH you may not get another more to your liking. Buyers see this as a falling property market.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No, 20 grand under asking price is derisory, believe me. The agent (and several others) called it an insult. We know the prospective buyer was just trying it on.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

10% less than you were asking for? It seems within the bound sof reason, after all it's not as if houses are priced like baked beans. TBH, asking 200,000 for something that you probably paid less than half that for is umm taking the piss, isn't it?
Reply to
Steve Firth

I would tend to agree with Steve, 10% below is not totally unreasonable.

given that you've been trying to sell for some time, it is entirely possible that the agent could be 10% out in their valuation. All that the number they come up with is a market value, and the market doesn't appear to be in agreement with them... and hey do you really want to loose out on your ideal property by hanging on to squeeze the last drops out of your own?

On the other hand maybe the buyer is an avid uk.d-i-y reader and knows your situation exactly. While it can be good to get a second opinion on these matters, a public forum is not always the best place to come.

cheers

David

Reply to
David