What LED cycle type bulbs to buy

Hi All,

I have a couple of lamps I?d like to upgrade to LED, but am unsure what bulbs to buy...,,

First is a Coleman camping light that has 4AAs arranged 2 in // in series w ith 2 in // such that I presume they provide 3V at the bulb. The previous bulb was a push in type as commonly found in bike lamps.

The other is a 3 x D Cell Maglite. (Can?t remember offhand what sor t of bulb this takes). I?d rather go for something that will just p lug in and work rather than converting an existing bulb (if that is possibl e).

Can anyone give me links to suitable bulbs on eBay / Amazon / wherever (pre fer to buy single bulbs rather than 10 off)

Cheers

Reply to
cpvh

There are conversion kits available for Maglites - I bought one a few years ago. Just type " Maglite LED conversion" into ebay's search field

Reply to
charles

Searching

3v bulb replacement led gives plenty of results on eBay and Amazon. I got some 6V ones for a dynamo years back and never got around to using them, so I can't say how good they are (still using halogen). But I just got another dynamo for a different bike, so might give them a go soon.
Reply to
Rob Morley

Whichever you buy, PLEASE point it downwards. I'm getting tired of being semi-blinded by idiots on bikes who have their lights pointing too far ahead. I'm generally anti-legislation but bike lights are now so bright that we need some rules on intensity and potential to dazzle other road users. If a car driver is dazzled they can't see other road users, and that's bad for everyone.

Reply to
nothanks

There already are rules (Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations IIRC) and some cyclists ignore them just as some car drivers do, whether purposely or not, in ignorance or malice ... who can say? At least it makes a change from people complaining about unlit bikes.

Reply to
Rob Morley

'tu quoque'. As usual.

Reply to
Huge

Lighting up the air - like the people who put PIR Floods on their home - waste half the light by pointing it horizontally to annoy the most people.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

+1 If bicycle lights are going to be as bright as car headlights they should have the same beam-shaping and dipping arrangements.
Reply to
Graham Nye

(The sound of you missing the point.)

Reply to
Huge

+another one.
Reply to
Huge

From my bookmarks:

Regards

- Mike

Reply to
Mike

Even if all the rules are followed, they don't AIUI cover headtorches (or anything not mounted on the bike) which can be quite annoying.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Indeed. Hopefully it won't take a fatal accident to focus legislator's attention on the problem of inconsiderate use of high powered lamps. (The car regs probably need updating too, because they're based on tungsten filament technology.)

Reply to
Rob Morley

But that is the whole point of lights on any two wheeled vehicle. The more they dazzle a car driver, the safer the rider feels. Or something.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have the same problem with FOG lights!

Reply to
swldxer1958

700 Lumens were not enough!

swldxer1958