I thought it was, or in the process of being, banned, yet I saw reels
of it on the shelves of my local hardware store this morning and the
man said it was news to him that lead-containing solder had been
banned. He reckoned his suppliers kept him up to speed on legislation.
A quote from the directive is:
"1. Member States shall ensure that, from 1 July 2006, new electrical
and electronic equipment put on the market does not contain lead,
mercury, cadmium, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyls (PBB)
or polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDE). National measures restricting
or prohibiting the use of these substances in electrical and electronic
equipment which were adopted in line with Community legislation before
the adoption of this Directive may be maintained until 1 July 2006."
think the main problem being tackled is the disposal of old equipment
where if they contain lead and are put into landfill, there is a risk
that these chemicals can then leach out into groundwater etc.
Just a though but I'm slightly confused re the issue of lead and the
I assume it was mined from the ground in the first place and I think
someone said when in the ground it's pretty inert and on the surface
it oxidizes and that is also fairly inert (I don't know, just thinking
Not the same sort of problem as with say lead in petrol or solder
I have probably spent most of my life over a soldering iron (not in
production though) and petrol, cleaning engine componets (benzene?) ,
creosote ..? ;-(
All the best ..
T i m
Well that depends. If you are in a habit of drinking water that has
perculated through the galena bearing rocks...
Personally I think there is rather a lot of over reaction to the
toxicity of some heavy metals. Wander along the stream and river
beds around here and you can pick up lumps of galena. Found a big
lump the other day 1" dia couple of inches long, not very pure
though as it's not a particulary cubic or heavy bit. Our water
doesn't come from the river though, not so sure about places
downstream like Hexham and Newcastle though. B-)
Yes, they're a mercury/silver/tin/copper/zinc amalgam. There's been
a "scare" about it for years. Quite frankly, it seems there's little
evidence it's harmful*, as it's been in use for over 100 years, and
the amount of mercury entering the body from dental amalgam is very
small compared to that ingested in food.
*If mercury vapour is likely to be a threat, I suggest that to be
so you'd be at a temperature where mercury vapour would be the
least of your worries.