What is Match Board

Hi all

I just bought a couple of sheets of match board for boxing in a toilet cistern. What is it exactly, some form of MDF?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Matched boards are traditionally thinnish tongued and grooved boards used for paneling. The edges of the board are usually chamfered to make a feature of the joint, unlike flooring boards.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

"Mike Halmarack" wrote

Thanks Mike

What I have appears to be the cheap and cheerful equivalent of these. Preformed panel (of mdf or similar) with milled grooves to imitate t&g.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Last time I used anything like that it was pressed and printed on the face of thin ply. It's quite useful stuff, even when you know it's not the real thing.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

That will be hardboard or MDF then.

Actually far more stable than pine in this application.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

B&Q were selling a MDF (Moisture resistant) panel version; I used a sheet of 12mm MR MDF and routed grooves in it for use in a bathroom. Doesnt look as good as the proper stuff but was a lot more convenient ( and probably more stable) for my particluar project. Robert

Reply to
robert

I've never found the real thing to be a problem anywhere, even as bath panels with a load of bath crazy kids.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I've got some in my bathroom and it shows a 3mm gap in the paint in winter..which disappears in summer.

Massive shrinkage with varying humidity.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How unfortunate, or do you see it as a positive feature? I always seem to oil or varnish my matched boarding, probably due to lack of imagination, so I've never noticed this effect. I also have a preference for narrow rather than wide boards, which shows less variation per joint.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

No.

Its been stopped, treated with 3-4 coats of primer and undercoat and top coat.

I hate the stuff. My wife said 'she thought it would be cheaper than tiling'

So it is, if you discount the amount of work and materials needed to get it to look even partway decent.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are some pretty basic painting methods which include painting the tongue that are traditionally considered to overcome the visual effect you mentioned. Framed and paneled doors are often treated similarly.

I love it, though not so much the painted variety. In a bathroom it adds a certain warmth to what can often be a cold looking area. I like tiling too, so I usually mix and match.

Seems to me that you have an almost perfect excuse for a bit of D-I-Y.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack