What is a cabinet scraper?

Hi,

I thought a cabinet scraper was a thin piece of metal which you pulled across the surface of wood to give a finer finish than sandpaper.

However

listed as a cabinet scraper, but looks very like my spokeshave, which to me is a freehand plane for shaping bits of wood.

They also show

is more what I would expect.

Can find them on Axminster but not Screwfix.

Just idle curiosity, really.

Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

That's a scraping plane, which may be shortened to scraper. The blade is prepared differently to a freehand scraper being sharpened at 45degrees instead of using a hook made by turning over a square edge.

I got one of the Axminster sets with a Clico burnisher (an extravagance ;-) and they work well, holding a nice edge.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

They are normally hand held but can be mounted in a block or as this is in an adjustable tensioner. Note:

Double edged cutter can be tensioned to give coarse or fine settings. Used for fine finishing of hardwoods.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

I agree with you! But interestingly - try looking at

which sells both scrapers and spokeshaves - it shows pictures of both, both made by Stanley, and which look very alike to me.

Maybe it's a new design of scraper?

David

Reply to
Lobster