What happened to the grid?

I wonder if someone decided to toss a spanner in the works? ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I wouldn't have thought that just over a Watt would have made that much difference.

;-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

3% loss and the system go's into jelly mode ?
Reply to
itsdoingfunnythings

They should have just turned on more windmills.

Reply to
dennis

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

You mean it's all been nicked?

nothing new there, then

Reply to
geoff

I'll answer my own question:

Sizewell B, Suffolk and Longannet, Fife.

Sizewell B was down to a fault but nothing is said about Longannet. That may have been scheduled and Sod got his timing right. B-)

Sizewell B - 1196MW - reported to be 3% of UK demand. Longannet - 2304MW - 5.7% by extrapolation.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Also Longannet possibly another 5% (see other post) amking a possible 8%. I don't know what the margin is without looking but I should imagine low single figures is very likely.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

1.2GW was the "System margin shortfall" in the first warning at 1145. 1.6GW was in the next warning at 1458.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It controls the green LED that shows that there isn't a nuclear meltdown in progress. :)

Reply to
Matty F

Depends if they have blown up and spread themselves all over the Ukraine and Europe.

Reply to
Matty F

I guess I can say, "told you so"...

Andrew Gabriel

Can you send that message to the BBC today programme so that Humphries can get his teeth into somebody and explain to the British public how they have been let down by the politicians. After all if you could predict this happening in August 2006 why could the government not with all their resources. It's quite appalling, and I suspect this is just the beginning of outages, because at the end of the day it pays the private companies to generate to an emergency so that they can charge more for it.. This country is fast becoming a third world banana republic. I did my apprenticeship in two coal fired station when the CEGB was called CEA and before that BEA. The people who ran things in those days were real engineers not politicians and bloody accountants. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Thats rich coming from someone who lives in Watford - chav central. :-)

Wotfud - fug off!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman
3% loss and the system go's into jelly mode ?

3% of total capacity will very rarely be the same as 3% of capacity in use. Nuclear power stations are usually the last to be taken off line as demand drops. They produce the cheapest electricity and the boiler can't be turned off, so it is easier to use the steam than to dump it. As a result, the lower the current demand, the greater percentage will come from nuclear stations.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Love the comment in that link "We have a very robust system in the UK, it rarely fails and that's why everybody is talking about it so much."

The lady doth protest too much me thinks.

Reply to
Rod

3% of baseband power. You want cheap electricity: we run close to the limit.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite, if 1.196GW is 3% that makes 100% 39.86GW. Current demand is

42.2GW... Peak winter demands aren't far short of 60GW. Of course overnight the demand is down to 27GW (midweek)...

The National Grid real time data seems to be a bit broke ATM the RH text has been saying "Demand: 42647MW Frequency: 49.93Hz 15:09:30 GMT" since after 1509 yesterday... The last 60 mins plot shows about 42.6GW at the RH end but the next update it drops back to 42.2GW and stays there. So I'm not sure I trust it.

I'd be surprised if it was harder to run down a nuke station than a big coal fired one... but it's really the wholesale price that determines if a generator company decides to run or not, taking into account the period that it takes for the plant to run up/down etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well I found out what happened here (High Wycombe). Power off. Hospital gennie kicks in - and blows up. (Well - small fire due to blocked exhasut according to story. Not sure what to believe.) Operations, etc. cancelled for rest of day...

While out for my walk I had seen a cloud of smoke but didn't really try to work out what could have caused it. Now I know.

Reply to
Rod

Yup, Marlow - same thing, same time. Didn't experience any momentary outages, just a good old0fashioned power cut.

Reply to
Peter Lynch

Quite rightly:

A large area of High Wycombe experienced a power cut shortly before midday today after two north London power stations shut down.

Well I guess Sizewell B and Longannet are north of London but they aren't "north London power stations". AFAIK there are no power stations within the M25...

Typical press bollocks when it comes to basic research of facts.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice