Whaley Bridge ballast

Watching those "rescue" films, I'm amazed at the "hover" of the Sea-Kings even in obviously gusty conditions. They look just as stable as kestrels, and even though they are massive it seems remarkable that pilots have the reflexes to achieve this. I'd always assumed they have some sort of inertial control system. I asked a Sea-King pilot about this at a county show about 20 years ago and he claimed it was all manual. But perhaps he was winding me up.

Reply to
newshound

He was. They had an auto-pilot system to help with holding a hover in difficult conditions.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If its fly by joystick then it will probably do it automatically.

The position sensors only cost about 20p these days as they are fitted in phones.

Then you can use a downward looking camera as well like they do on mice.

Reply to
dennis

In article snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, Jim K.. snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

What will happen is not the same as what is necessary.

The core of the dam appears to be undamaged. But no doubt the experts will report soon. It will be a brave person who says no need to a rebuild.

Reply to
bert

Early on they were saying the local quarry was donating them.

A local quarry near where I used to live many years ago had big piles of waste - they produced roadstone and asphalt, and there were always ungraded fines from the crusher. AFAIK they winnowed it away into the asphalt plant, but always had several large heaps of it. I expect the dam failure was a blessing in disguise for them.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Their autopilot is cleverer than just set altitude. When they are dunking anti-submarine sonar they have to hold a constant altitude _above_ _the_ _sea_. Which is a bit interesting on a rough day!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

laser or radar rangefinder

BUT I dont believe they do that anymore - sonobuouys are cheap as chips and you can carpet a whole area with them

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Easier when it's calm. As the Dambusters managed...

Reply to
Bob Eager