Western Link HVDC interconnector makes landfall in Scotland

Yes. The link points to carbon fibre and exotic aluminium.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes , I was getting the sequence mixed up, 132, 275, 400. I never worked on them, just cut trees under them.

AJH

Reply to
news

Skin effect anywhere?..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , snipped-for-privacy@loampitsfarm.co.uk scribeth thus

That must have been fun on damp days;?..

Reply to
tony sayer

You mean because of increased risk?

Trees/branches are all categorised depending on distance from conductors , voltage of conductor and what bits might fall on conductor. Any that are too dangerous to be worked on live require a shut down.

AJH

Reply to
news

At 50Hz?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I see that there are (or were) actually two UK-Norway interconnects on the table: one, still on the table and progressing AIUI, would come ashore at Blyth in Northumberland,

while the other, back in the cupboard for the moment, would come ashore at Peterhead in Aberdeenshire

Chris Hogg

This is what NG is using and has been for quite some time now.

And the Belgians

This pdf details the NG strategy on network losses and the increases in overhead line capacity (from page 7 onwards)

The Other Mike

The former is most definitely 'on' Contracts were placed for cables and laying and the converter stations some time ago.

Reply to
The Other Mike

In article , Tim Streater scribeth thus

Yes oddly enough its usually thought of an RF issue but i seem to remember it was a possible problem somewhere at much lower frequencies.

Reply to
tony sayer

En el artículo , tony sayer escribió:

I thought they ran HVAC lines at higher frequencies. 400Hz seems to come to mind.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Not for the "standard" 275/400 kV "supergrid"

Reply to
newshound

En el artículo , newshound escribió:

Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That's in aircraft.

Reply to
charles

Nah. Not really mate.

Problems of power lines are more interline and to-ground capacitance and resistance and phase shifts, if its long enough. That's why DC.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No.

Never heard of that

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed I'm buggered if i can remember where that article was it was about a power distribution system where you wouldn't have thought skin effect would be significant but it did turn out to be so. I'll post if a can remember where it was!.

Reply to
tony sayer