weeping cast iron pipe

There is an (100 yer old) internal cast iron soil pipe from upstairs runs vertically through our utility room. It has been painted over the years with a few coats of emulsion. We're redecorating so I stripped off the old paint and cleaned it up.

When cleaning it up, I noticed a few small (10mm max) blisters on the old paintwork with pockets of damp/rust behind them. Regardless, I gave it a couple of coats of metal primer with intending to paint it with the same emulsion as the walls when I get that done (this weekend).

However, after a week, there are tiny bead of rust/water has come through the undercoat. There's not enough to form a drip, just a small brown patch coming through the paint. It's not a big problem, and I certainly don't think it worth replacing the pipe - more of a cosmetic issue really.

Can anyone suggest a teatment that would keep it blemish free. What I don't want to do is put the emulsion on and have the brown spots come through that too.

Thanks.

Reply to
urchaidh

Probably the Bitumen Coating from the Soil Pipe bleeding through. Use a good sealing primer and it will be OK.

Reply to
Merryterry

No. It's already paper-thin and is ready to collapse completely. Plan to replace it ASAP, at a time of your chooosing. The alternative is to have it fail when it decides to. Your call....

Reply to
Andy Dingley