Webb mower revisited

OK, so we have got the 24" Webb cylinder motor mower going and have mowed a large lawn reasonably successfully, although it left some of the 18" high grass stalks.
I'm hoping this is because the small front roller seems to be seized solid and just flattened the longer grass in front of the blades. The roller seems to be solid steel, about 2" diameter and have a shaft that has an allen key at each end of the roller and then nuts to hold it in the frame.
Is anyone familiar with these? Are there any warnings about what not to do? I'm a bit scared of undoing something vital and ending up with small rollers (I'm too polite to mention the other type of bearing) all over the floor.
We haven't attached the ride on roller seat yet as it seems to go terribly fast for something that needs to do tight u-turns.
--
Bill

Bill wrote:

Apart from that, use a rotary FIRST when tackling high stalks!
cylinder mowers are to keep perfect lawns perfect. Not whack into meadows with.

:) Its been a while since I saw someone using one of those, but I think he used to lean in on the turns.
NT

For the very long stuff a reciprocating mower is needed (I've used one on wildlife 'hay' meadows). Think giant barbers' clippers. Nowadays, that would be strimmer first, or borrow a horse/sheep/goat to eat it for you. Or if you are fit, scythes can be satisfying.