Web gateway to this newsgroup

I don't really want to promote Google groups because I feel Google is too dominant in all major online markets. Soon they will kill small websites (My opinion). I would like to think that we can offer a similar service to Google groups but instead of having hundreds or thousands of usenet groups we have 1 and we are related to that niche and we moderate it well (from our end). Thus meaning people who want to access this group from a web interface will use our site ahead of Google.

Reply to
gary white

gary white wrote in news:8886db5b-a821-4364-a05a- snipped-for-privacy@i25g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

Newsgroups are owned by anyone, you are free to use them as you will.

All I would add is that it's considered poor practice to pass off newgroup content as your own. The only real drawback to implimenting a web based system is that you are in effect opening a gateway to spam merchants and for that reason a link to the UseNet newgroup (news:uk.d-i-y) along with links to appropriate UseNet clients for your visitors to download is an acceptable way forward.

It has to be remembered though that although UseNet was in many respects cutting edge 20 oddd years ago before the interweb thingie came along it is now very much old hat and ISP provision of Usenet feeds can be problematical nowadays ... hence the rise in web interfaces. You can always simply point your visitors to the google groups interface.

In other words you pay your money you take your choice. That's it end of story, folks who give it the big "I am" and start pappinmg on about newsgroup ownership and rubbish like that (moderated groups excepted - which this isn't) can usually be directed here ...

Chris Wilson

The 'block posts after 2 months' would fix this.

Is this something that happens with all DIYbanter posts? Maybe its a fault with the coding on their site. Do Google posts thread?

Interesting, maybe we force them to include a quote. Like Google.

How do people here post images? Do you link to external sites?

This can be observed

Is this the same for Google groups?

We are a UK site so we will moderate and only publish UK related questions.

Reply to
gary white

Yes, there are several free usenet servers, e.g. you can register for an account at

you'll need a client, there is plenty of variety, I use Thunderbird, it does have some shortcomings but it seems plenty of people here use it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Have a look at:

you are willing to pay 10 Euros per annum NIN is excellent:
are text only.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Yea, we allow users to upload images, maybe we can make it so when it gets sent to this newsgroup it comes as a url and easy to view that way.

We also have a auto word replacement for swears. :) So swearing should not be a problem. *hopefully.

Reply to
gary white

Oh, you want that for free as well? ;-(

OK

get a usenet client installed (say, thunderbird) and stay around and see how this thing actually works. It is one thing saying that you have potential users with problems accessing usenet (and it's hardly rocket science), yet it's another when also you haven't bridged that problem youself...

Also take heed of materials on

Adrian C

yep

Usually they do, but occasionally it breaks and forks replies into a new thread with the same title.

yes either their own websites, or the photobin type

sounds ok, do you plan to moderate in both directions?

As you've requested help with usenet access, I hope you'll get a "better view of the beast" by using it directly ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Chris Wilson wrote in news:Xns9E5E89AFC7AA5ulmbritwarcouk@69.16.176.253:

~~~

Eeeek ... "arn't"

Sorry

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Yea, I know we could do go ahead and 'steal' the content. However it would only take you guys a month to realise and then you would bash our site.

If we go ahead with this it is unlikely we will get it perfect first time, and we will need your feedback. We know it's not as good as using a newsgroup client, but for example, my mum would never ever ever ever ever be able to use a newsgroup on her own. So she would use a forum. And bless some of our users, they ask questions about paint drying time and we have to tell them to check the tin.

So I think you will get new people via a web interface, the aim is to offer something similar to Google, but on a site 100% focused on DIY.

Reply to
gary white

dont google groups archive it already? why reinvent the wheel?

george [dicegeorge]

lol, I like free things.

Actually, I am using thunderbird, but I have a download account and I am not allowed to reply. I did not realise there was much difference between GG and using a client. I will transfer to thunderbird soon.

I am not going to lie, I am new to this newsgroup world. But I am learning. I actually discovered it though DIYbanter. lol

Reply to
gary white

Sorry on reflection my last post (and that URL) was a bit snooty. Wish you the best of success with this if you do manage to get it going!

:-)

Reply to
Adrian C

Pay???

Some of us use

Some use ISP provided services (getting rarer)

There are other free services, or very inexpensive ones.

Cheers, Tim

-- Tim Watts

Reply to
Tim Watts

Welcome :)

Web forums are good for some things - where a lot of multimedia are expected, or where very specific permission sand moderation are required - eg private forums.

For public "forums", they suck rocks through Gary Glitter's penis (no offense).

Even Thunderbird, which isn't a great news reader, but is fairly ubiquitous and mostly competant, allows far more personal control over the reading experience than any forum - eg being able to "killfile" idiots, drop threads (or subthreads) that look boring, organise and present the posts in a way that suits you.

Cheers, Tim

-- Tim Watts

Reply to
Tim Watts

True, but imagine if instead of Google Groups, niche websites did the same job, acting as a gateway for one or two newsgroups and moderating the content entering the newsgroup. Listing to feedback from user. People would ditch GG and then Google would have to invest loads of money moderating GG and making it better, which they won't because it does not make them much money.

I might be naive if i think I can do it, but its worth a try.

Reply to
gary white

It's OK. I read the website you linked and I understand. I know I cannot please everyone, but if I follow the advice from people on this thread it might work OK. I will keep you all updated.

Reply to
gary white

Why are you trying to create a gateway to Usenet if you don't have a clue how Usenet works? It is often stated that if you think you know how to write a Usenet news reader then you don't have a clue. The people who have done it succesfully can probably be counted on one's fingers (without using binary) and as far as I can see no web ateway has ever worked. Not even Google which is now worse than it used to be as Deja News.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Again, if you can't tell the differnce between email and news and you don't know the conventions of how to reply to Usenet posts, how the hell do you expect to be able to provide a service that gateways to news?

Reply to
Steve Firth

  1. The morons all think that this is a paid advice service and they throw their toys out of the pram when they don't get the "service" that they feel they are due.
Reply to
Steve Firth