Weatherproofing solution for patched hole in car floor.

My elderly Range Rover has grown holes in both front footwells.

That in the nearside is actually a series of perforations over about an A5 sized area. I can't get to the underside because of the outrigger just aft of the A post. I also doubt that I can clean off all of the underseal. I also do not want to cut the entire rotten area out because I'm sure that I can't slip the repair plate into place in such a way that there are no water traps - especially considering the access problem.

What I propose doing is MIG welding a plate over the entire area and onto sound metal on the inside - producing a rust trap that some car manufacturers would be proud off - and then filling the void between the new plate and existing (holely) floor with filler foam followed by underseal.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be welcome.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Not sure how you would apply it in this situation, but with rusty underbody's I tend to find the best thing to do is brush off the loose flakes and apply a mixture of grease and oil. Wants to be runny enough to apply easily with a brush, but thick enough so's not to run back down the brush onto your hands as you apply it.

Reply to
Dark Angel