Weather proof cable connector

I need a couple of weather proof cable connector like Ebay item 141119598452

but am gob smacked by the price of £7.07 each! Any suggestions on where to but them for a sensible price?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Might it be cheaper (and better) to just buy a longer bit of flex and not h ave the connector? (if you can)

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

In article , Muddymike writes

To be fair, it doesn't seem excessive for a safety critical, mains voltage, must work item. It is immersion proof after all

Mind you I have just paid 14quid for a discrete component PIR detector just so I could cut the lens off and use it on something else.

Reply to
fred

+1

Mike - don't be so tight it is only the same as 2 pints!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In the south-east maybe.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Sadly not an option as the leads are moulded in but too short.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

In article , Muddymike

What bugs me is that it'll cost me seven quid odd each to extend the too short lead on two six quid outdoor rope lights. I'm not tight honest although I do live in Yorkshire!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Ah so none critical and a tiddly load. Crimps and self amalgamting tape fed via a plugin RCD and 1 A fuse in plugtop. Though if the circuit they are connected to is also RCD protected the plugin jobie might not serve much real purpose. Or an IP65 box and a terminal strip.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Muddymike writes

Ah, you didn't mention the application. As you had pointed to a pond connector I assumed you wanted something truly immersion proof and demountable.

In your place I would make a neat soldered joint and cover it with adhesive lined heatshrink, job done. If you want an extra pair of braces then add some self amalgamating tape over the top.

Other alternatives are crimping the adh lined h/s but not so neat or crimps then potting in a tiny box, again not so neat and more expensive.

Reply to
fred

Not great fan of adhesive lined heat shrink. I find heat shrink too rigid and the "adhesive" never really bonds to the cable, even minor stress/flexing breaks the bond and forms a capilary way in for moisture.

Self amalgamating tape still doesn't bond to the cable but it seals very well, remains flexable and doesn't form a capilary.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Muddymike

Had it been for use 100% on my own property I would have immediately gone down the solder/heat shrink route. But it'll be spending the first weekend of its life in a public place so I though a proper connector would be appropriate.

As for pointing to a pond connector, it is the most cost effective/neat solution I could find. My subject line did say "Weather proof"

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Self-amalg does need a covering of paint or pvc if it is out in the sun. But that's beside the point. I have a lot of below-ground-level cable voids here. In all cases I have made sure (as far as possible) that they don't fill by putting them over soakaways. The cable joints are in junction boxes fixed to the walls of the chamber just below the covers. The cables enter via holes in the bottom face of the boxes. Joints are either soldered or crimped. I haven't had any trouble, except once when a freak downpour filled a chamber.

Incidentally, since this is a DIY group I'll mention that I was unable to buy the chambers and covers exactly to my spec, so I cast the chambers in concrete and made the covers from 1" x 1" steel tube frames (galved) with alloy 5-bar plate screwed to it. It's all been fine. The first ones were done 30 years ago and there have been no problems.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Hum, can't say I've ever noticed any degradation of SA tape by sunlight.

That includes the stuff that had been around N-types on a roof for

10+ years. When I cut that off to remove the installation it was just as I put it on, soft and flexable solid "rubber" and the connectors inside in prefect condition.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't imagine you as running an outdoor model train network. Can we be curious about what your installation is for?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I have seen it happen on some radio comms sites after a number of years..

Denso tape is the stuff they use for real comms grade joints, shit to a blanked and then some!!...

Reply to
tony sayer