We will lose 10% of our volts by April

But not always. It is probably always possible to find a lower rate of interest at a similar risk.

Reply to
polygonum

AIUI, they were *ordered* to make such investments by the then government.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I always thought it was unfair to blame the councils. As reported (and clearly not absorbed) at the time, the councils had a *obligation* to seek the highest possible rate of return for investments they make. Anything less opens them to possible action by whoever oversees local authorities. So they *had* to put something into Iceland - especially given the fact that Iceland had been OKd by the criminals in the ratings agencies. It's (sadly) not enough to decline to invest saying "it looks dodgy".

The current UK/AAA story is laughable. Given the criminally piss-poor job these agencies did of "rating" US sub prime bonds, why should anyone give a flying f*ck what they think ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

If you survived that experience, you're lucky, because what it teaches you is that you don't need to work, do homework, etc. Which will bite you a little later in life.

Reply to
Windmill

Maybe Beppe Grillo is giving us a clue. How about a resurgent Monster Raving Loony Party?

Reply to
Windmill

If you want to justify changes which lead to an increase in the effective rate of interest paid by governments, a poorer rating is very useful. Likewise if you want to harm the economy to improve your chances of profiting by selling short.

Not of course that any of these agencies would ever consider such a thing.

Reply to
Windmill

They have a candidate at the Eastleigh by-election this week.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Wednesday 27 February 2013 10:35 Windmill wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Talking to an italian at lunch today, from what I can make out is that Grillo is the Nigel Farage of Italy - getting the votes as people seek to punish the other parties and possibly his attitude towards the EU.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'd say he's completely different. Farage would jump at the chance of joining a coalition government. Grillo believes all politicians are a waste of space.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I am not so sure he would.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The System has survived both. It has got through difficult times but little has changed in the System.

Reply to
<me9

I had been thinking about resurgence when I posted my comment above, then that BBC guy (Eddie Mair?) referred to Beppe Grillo as an 'insurgent'!

Good to see that the BBC are sticking to their policy of unbiased neutrality.

Reply to
Windmill

It ought to do a good job of getting the attention of the other parties. The risk is that they do something foolish in response.

Reply to
Windmill

Eddie Mare is sort of known for his jokey approach.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's the one containing horse meat? With a jockey approach.

Reply to
polygonum

Bit ironic that the intervention of the anti-EU party has probably led to victory for the most pro-EU [party.

Reply to
bert

Ouch !!

Reply to
Windmill

Well that IS an interesting statement.

Since the best estimates are that UKIP stole similar votes from ALL the 'main three' parties..yes slightly more from the tories, but not by that much.

It is not far fetched to say that UKIP will challenge the Labour heartlands better than the tories ever did.

Nationally the Liberal vote has completely collapsed back to its pre-clegg levels.

And UKIP are equal to or ahead of the Liberals in MOST polls.

Given that

(a) most pollsters assign a "will vote like you did last time" percentage to a lot of 'not sures' and 'definites' on the basis that they are lying and:

(b) anyone who says they are voting UKIP isn't voting the way they did last time, and is more likely to actually vote. You need to be a bit brave and committed to vote UKIP!

Finally, even if UKIP is a protest vote, its curious to note that the protest didn't go to the opposition. It suggests that whilst people have little faith in the Coalition, they have as little faith in Labour. At least in Eastleigh.

This will force at leasts the Tories to move in their direction policy wise...but does anyone believe their policy promises anymore?

UKIP have a couple of years to get their act together. If they get it right,m they will becime the de facto third party and may be poyttential coalisyin partners in 12015.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't think I can wait that long ... :)

Reply to
Terry Casey

Sorry - the corona virus is making some posts..hurried.

All sympathy to queenie if she's got got too.. VILE.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher