Water softners

Our water softener has eventually given up, so we are in need of a new one. Has anyone any advice on ones to get, or ones to avoid.

Five bedroomed house but only two of us living here now, so water consumption is quite low apart from when all the children and grandchildren come to stay.

thanks in advance

Simon

Reply to
Simon

Get one that measures your consumption, not on a timer.

I've had an AquaDial for about 25 years. I service it every 5 years or so (clean filter). So far no problems.

Not sure if they are still going: Aqua Dial Ltd, 020 8549 7812

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Nigel Molesworth:

Some units have meters and timers. As I understand it the price/specification steps are: Low spec: timer only Medium spec: meter with timer (single tank) High spec: meter without timer (twin tank)

Even with a meter, a single tank unit needs a timer so that it will only regenerate at night. Twin tank units always do not need a timer because one tank can regenerate at any time without affecting supply from the other.

I chose a twin tank unit but it might be more expensive than you need.

pat

I've finally bought one myself just yesterday. I've been meaning to get one but haven't had the funds until I managed some creative accounting and put it on our loft conversion budget.

It is a twin tank, non electric sequential tank model (i.e. the best type) for 650 quid inc VAT and delivery. From

As it hasn't yet arrived, I've no idea if it or the supplier are any good yet.

One feature that the one chose has is that it can take any type of salt (i.e. granulated, tablet, block) so I don't have to buy overpriced block salt. Some machines can only accept block salt and this can affect the economics of operation.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I am fairly sure that one is made by Harvey (see my recent posts).

Reply to
pat

Thanks to everyone that replied. Think it will be a twin tank one that I will go for.

Reply to
Simon

The picture does look quite different from the Crown, though. Perhaps the picture is wrong, or the franchisees put different casings onto the same innards.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I am fairly sure it is the same manufacturer.

I think it is an example of branding/badging (think Sainsburys cornflakes) rather than franchising (think BMW dealerships).

Reply to
pat