Water softener q?

The instructions on our new water softener (yes, a real one) say that softened water will remove existing scale. Is this true? I thought limestone was only barely soluble in water and the reason there was any amount was that it took many years to dissolve.

Reply to
Huge

It didn't say it would remove it all or how long it would take - it will remove existing scale but very slowly.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

In message , Bob Mannix writes

Just like rainwater, or is that weak carbonic acid:-)

I'm impressed by how much less salt our new *metered* one uses compared to the old timer settings based on shower/baths/bedrooms numbers.

Also, anyone interested in a *free to good home* domestic water softener. About 15 years old but believed repairable. Herts.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think it does, slowly over a longish period, yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

limestone was only

Yes I can confirm that it does. There are incidents I'm aware for where small weaping leaks have occured where the limescale previously sealed a compression joint - admittedly this is on large commercial installations.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson