water softener

I am thinking about installing a water softener. All my cold water services (toilets' bath etc )are direct off the incoming main supply and my hot water is via an instantaineous gas unit also off the incoming main and which works really well. ie I have no storage tanks at all.

I would maintain a non softened supply to the kitchen sink.

Any ideas if instaling a softener will give rise to problems with this arrangement?>>

Reply to
Jim

That would depend on the logistics of your pipes! Are you planning in fitting another tap to the sink, or just having hard cold and soft hot?

Sparks..

Reply to
Sparks

Youned a high flow softener and BIG pipes. But other than physical installation issues, it all works fine here...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have mostly existing15mm pipework which I intended to reuse by simply plumbing the softener into it. Is this not a good idea??

jim

Reply to
Jim

I will put in some new 15mm pipework to maintain hard cold at sink and have soft hot. I moved into a house where an old indirect system had been ripped out and then everything run off the mains. They reused most of the old pipework and so some runs eg to the bath, have 15mm connected into old

22mm. Not good practice but it works!

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Despite what the manufacturers say it is important that people, especially children, drink non-softened water only.

Therefore, make sure there is a non-softened tap in the kitchen and one in the bathroom where people will clean their teeth.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--