Water softener?

SInce we had a water softener fitted, a number of the Yorkshire compression fittings have a greenish dust emanating from them.

Is this just a matter of nipping up the nuts a little or would it be a sign of something more serious?

Reply to
Gareth Evans

Confusing, I'm afraid. Yorkshire fittings to me are soldered fittings with a ring of solder included in a ridge around the fitting. Not the same as compression fittings which have nuts and olives.

Green dust sounds like a water leak that has dried up.

Water softeners seem to do strange things to aluminium (such as rivets in knife handles) but I haven't heard of them attacking copper or brass.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Softeners will in time dissolve any carbonate that is blocking minor leaks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yorkshires are solder ring fittings. Green = copper corrosion. Salt softeners do cause a little bit of corrosion. Nipping at your nuts won't solve anything. The only serious issue is that you're considering the latter.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Others have commented that the "yorkshire" tag is usually taken to mean solder ring fittings, its perhaps fair to point out that Pegleryorkshire (as they are now know) make all types of fittings including compression:

t may be that the scale was blocking a very minor weep previously. Tightening a little may help. (although if the weep is due to a scratch on the pipe, you may need to remake the joint to fix it properly).

Reply to
John Rumm