Water pressure

Moved into a new house, cold water pressure is a bit low. It does have a meter

Checked at the stop c*ck in the house Checked all taps I could find in the loft.

Still low, hot water is fine...

Any pointers?

Reply to
Dwill

Check how many seconds it takes to fill a litre jug, from the kitchen tap and from an outdoor tap if you have one. See how it compares with your neighbours. IIRC the water company are only bound to provide 4 ltrs per minute.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

"The guaranteed standards scheme (GSS) sets out that water companies shall maintain a minimum pressure of water in the communication pipe serving the premises supplied with water of seven metres static head. Companies also monitor the number of properties at risk of low pressure against an indicator known as DG2. The DG2 measure is ten metres head of pressure, at the external stop tap, at a flow of nine litres per minute. This should be sufficient to fill a one-gallon (4.5 litre) container in

30 seconds. "

But I don't know how much reduction in flow rate it is reasonable to expect as a result of the consumer's piping (including stop-c*ck(s)).

Reply to
neverwas

Yes, I shouldn't rely on my memory :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Is it the pressure or the volumetric rate?

When we moved in here, turning on the tap fast sprayed water across the kitchen but within half a second the flow dropped right back.

Pressure was about 5 bar during the day (must have been a bit high at night!) but a kettle took about 30 - 40s to fill.

Eventually a broken-off, rusted round file was found just below the stop-c*ck.

If your neighbours have acceptable pressure, look for restrictions in your supply.

Reply to
PeterC

That's where it went ;-)

Reply to
Harry Stottle

It is more usual to be the other way around. Is the hot water from a combi (and therefore from the mains)???

Is the cold water from a loft storage tank?

Is there a hot water storage cylinder? If so, is it vented or unvented?

Reply to
Onetap

Many thanks for the pointers, i have enough to be trying,

Reply to
Dwill