Water heater problem

Hi,

I have a hot water tank in the airing cupboard of my house. It is a standard round domestic (copper?) water tank, and it has a dual heating element. (One that heats the water overnight, and another for a 'Boost' where extra hot water is required - say in the evening).

These heating elements are both fitted into an attachement on the top of the tank at one side along with a thermostat for each. The problem is that the 'boost' heater is getting very hot (at the top where the electric wires are attached), so much so that it has melted the insulation off the wire!

My question is this: Anyone got any suggestions what could be going wrong. I don't think it is the thermostat as this happens almost instantly the element is turned on. If it sounds like a hopless case, can you suggest a good supplier where I might be able to buy a replacement. (I live in the UK)

Regards,

ChrisM.

Reply to
ChrisM

Immersion heater connection do get hot - simply by conduction from the resistive elements. The cable should be special heat resistant type - it feels more slippery to the touch than normal pvc cable. I have known the thermostat built into an immersion element get hot due to worn contacts. Also check that all connections are clean, copper wires are bright not blackened and screwed up tight.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin