Wasps nest under Xmas tree

In January, SWMBO always plants the Xmas tree back out into the garden (it has roots). This year it looked to be doing well after replanting, new green stuff appearing.

In the last couple of weeks we noticed a wasps nest in the ground just near the trunk, and that the tree seems to be dying (needles going brown). Are these two likely to be related or is it more likely just shortage of water.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Probably a bit of both. Wasps are quite good at chewing through woody stuff, including thin roots. While the Xmas tree would probably cope in a normal summer (three fine days and a thunderstorm), a long period of drought will put it under extra stress if its roots are being chewed.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Well the water is my guess. Otherwise surely you would find lots of people with wasps nests. No most trees are suffering this year. It may even die. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

get a waspinator

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

According to the blurb on that having a dummy nest will frighten other wasps off.

I've got two nests in inaccessible parts of my roof at the moment less than 5m apart. It doesn't seem to bother them.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris