Warm Air Units Uk

Go and ask your local estate agent about how much a warm air system knocks off the value of a house compared to a wet one.

You can dribble as much as you like about how good they can be but in practice they're rubbish for this country.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Modern replaceable units are available that are a world away fro the old units with modulating fans and burners, more soundproof and infinitely better filtration. Ripping it out was silly. You should have asked me first.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Mr Cranium, estate agents are not engineers. They don't have hard hats on.

** snip senility **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Ive been informed that new central heating boilers below a certai

efficiency rating are being outlawed in the UK due to enviromenta issues and also because of an expected energy crisis..

Am i correct in saying that Warm Air Units at this time are not bein classified equally with Wet systems and will therfore continue to b installed for some years to come..i heard 2 years in england??

I Wonder if the cost of spare parts shall increase as Warm Air Unit decline in the UK

I suppose thats great for us Gas Engineers

Now over to Dr Drivel for some drive

-- gastec

Reply to
gastec

It has been the case fro a long time and increased in April this year. You are CORGI and don't know that?

** snip drivel **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

There is no significant level of installation in UK domestic premises, and hasn't been for years. They got to be slightly popular in houses built around 1968-1970, but such systems will no longer be in use. I lived in such a house in 1984, and it was one of the very few on the estate which still had the WAU. Although I was renting, I serviced it a couple of times, and spares were easy to obtain back then at least.

I liked the fast warm-up, but it was a real problem for the others in the house -- dryness was a disaster for a contact lense wearer, and the dust (even with filter) was a problem for someone else who was constantly sneezing when it was on. The unit and ducting were in the middle of the house, which left the external walls cold (where you would have put the radiators in a wet system), and rooms which didn't reach the centre of the house got no direct heating at all. A few years after I moved out, the landlord pretty much had to ditch it because no one would service them anymore.

The decline was 30 years ago, but there was barely a noticable rise before it in any case.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Warm air was the first form of heating system taken up en- mass in the UK in the 1950s, with the post war housing boom. It pre-dated small bore wet systems by a number of years. Small bore was introduced by the coal board. Over one million homes even today are heated by warm air.

A humidifier spinner could have been installed.

Poor filters.

Sounds like a typically British poorly designed and installed system.

Spare parts are freely available. Johnson & Starley has parts available for units dating from the early 1960s. Try and get a part for a 1964 boiler today.

like a comprehensive selection to me.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You learn something new every day.

So that's your definition of an engineer? Figures.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"replaceable" because that's what everyone wants to do with them, LOL!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

No, idiots want to rip them out, not replace. Boy are you dumb.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Richard, you don't learn anything any day.

** snip senility **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I fear that the tightened regulations regarding ventilation for ope

flued natural draught appliances has really put a full stop on warm ai installation..2008 will really cause an uproar when the ventilatio requirements tighten further...i guess room sealed warm air would b the way to go if you want to go that way...

seems like a lot of bother when wet systems really meets all th current safety requirments...

Let me hazard a guess and say that its ALOT EASIER to fit a wet syste than a warm air system??

im not a fitter or engineer by the way! a wee bit higher up th ranks>>>>

-- gastec

Reply to
gastec

Why -- what on earth have they got to do with each other?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

So you must be Roger Carr and I claim my £5.

Reply to
Andy Hall

SNIP

But only a couple of days ago you said you serviced/repaired ten systems a day. Please try to stick to the same story!

Reply to
John

This is good, a who done it.

Reply to