Wallpaper stripping wiki - update proposal...

Andrew Gabriel coughed up some electrons that declared:

Good point - especially if doing this in an office and you set the whole fire alarm system off.

You can get proper orange/red caps for the commercial detectors which I think is preferred as it's obvious to everyone that it's still on.

I'll add this with a side note about not capping off commercial detectors without consulting the local fire officer and not leaving any capping on when not required, in any location.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

If you're a tenant, beware of doing this. Disabling fire detection equipment can have major financial consequences if a fire occurs, you could be held liable, check your contract. In such cases, opening the window fully may be a smarter move. And of course water or damp around electrical accessories is a potential cause of fire.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com coughed up some electrons that declared:

Perhaps reduce the whole thing to a warning about "steam might set off smoke detectors" and "if you are thinking of capping them off, please be sure to check you have any required authorisation, especially in a shared or commercial building.". Don't want to make a big deal of it, because it's supposed to be a Stripping Wiki, not a Disabling-Fire-Detection-Practises wiki :)

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

of course...

Reply to
John Rumm

and rented accomodation, the financial results to the renter can be disastrous. Its not a trivial issue, contracts can state that the tenant becomes liable for losses if the fire protection system is disabled, and if insurance doesnt pay out, which it doesnt in all cases, the tenant can lose everything but the shirt on their back.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Hi all,

Rather than go through another round of posting, I thought it easier to slam it up in a draft state:

to everyone - I think I've incorporated and/or quoted every suggestion here - please squeak if I forgot one or I misquoted you.

I was tempted to refer to various larger quotes as "Andrew's method", "Mark's method", "John's method" etc, but it seemed unfair on other contributors, so I didn't in the end. I settled for marking such bits as "Mostly verbatim from original author" (allowing typo edits and formatting) and "Adapted from original author" for reworks, but there's a link to this thread via google if any future readers want to see the source.

Are you all happy with that way? I don't do a lot of Wiki edits where it's a merger of many ideas (ie I more often author stuff that is entirely down to me), so I'm not up on the etiquette.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

You forgot a section about what you are allowed to say when you see what colour your parents had previously painted the walls before they covered them in wallpaper:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

with photos :)

Reply to
Tim S

peelings are more or less dry within half an hour of being removed. You'd only just be starting the job with the soaked through and soggy spray/sponge method which leaves you with a pile of soaked paper to deal with. A steamer is also much quicker than soaking, even taking into account the time required for the steamer to get up to temperature.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

nice one

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Dave Liquorice coughed up some electrons that declared:

What would you suggest?

Originally, I read it as you did and thought "it doesn't really, IMHE").

But later discussions did lead to the intent perhaps being to note that it does produce some liquid water and gunk, particularly in relation to damageable surfaces and nearby electrikery.

Open to offerings (or you could just tweak it yourself - it *is* a Wiki afterall :)

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S