Wallpaper confusion

Previous occupants of my previous flat had made their own border by slicing strips of wallpaper, so I had sideways flowers round the cornice.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

first,

It's not there already? Is there not a section on wall papering? Can't say I've looked mind. The bit I can never remember is which way to overlap into a window reveal, one way shows they other doesn't.

It is common practice but it's not obvious. It's only when you hang a wall paper with a drop pattern and you end up with lots of bits 1/2 drop long trimmed off that you start to think "there must be a better way"

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, I agree. If the height of the wall is N + 1/2 patterns, then - as you say - you keep using the same roll rather than alternating when the pattern match is staggered.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I think the key numbers are drop, repeat, fall (piece length) and desired trim amount.

I feel that there is relation ship between the repeat and fall that is modified by the drop to indicate if two (or more) rolls need to be used for consecutive each piece. It may well be that a large repeat, in relation to the fall, with zero drop could also save paper by using two (or more) rolls simultaneously.

I expected to find such a calculator on the web but I can't quickly, and even more curiously many "how to hang wallpaper" pages don't mention this alternate roll trick but they they also tend to ignore wallpapers with drops...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Strangely enough this was also flowers! With the free end at the top, the flowers were upside down. SWMBO was asked to attend site & make a decision and we both agreed the flowers should go up.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Does that brick pattern wallpaper still exist? Having watched my dad hang some at home (right way up) I made a point of looking at the orientation every time I saw some. It wasn't unusual for it to be upside down, i.e. the shadows in the pointing were at the top of each brick.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Try claiming drought? Over watering?

No? Didn't work for me either.

It does;

The Medway Handyman

In the same way that, once you have interpreted the veining pattern, on the one-time ubiquitous Crystal tiles, as a bird flexing its wings, you spot at a glance how the orientation has been planned (or not).

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon