Wall-mounted toilet frames.

I have been looking at toilet frames. They all seem to bear weight on the floor. This is just what I don't want to do, for several reasons. Does any one know of one designed to take its weight (and that of toilet and user) through wall brackets? Or do I have to consider making my own brackets out of steel angle?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Are you thinking this idea through? There's a good reason these things bear weight on the floor. One of these reasons is people with fat arses. You haven't considered that, right? Imagine your contraption's been working great for years and you've forgotten about any concerns you may have had, when one day a guest of yours who weighs 22st uses your loo and brings the house down in the process. Imagine it's your boss. Imagine him sitting there covered in dust and rubble with his pants down to his ankles, dazed and confused, wondering WTF happened. Do you think you'll still have your job the next day? I'll bet you never thought of that, but some of us here have been in this position before and it makes us very circumspect about taking risks with untried designs.

Reply to
cd

You might not have but Others have.

A google of wall mounted toilet gets nearly 2 million hits.

The brackets for these are specifically designed for lard arses.

For avoidance of any doubt!

I have no connection with this company. There are others proffering similar products.

Reply to
Fredxxx

what do you mean by bear weight on the floor?

wall mounted systems are definitely available, my sister' new build flat has one, but ultimately the weight has to transfer to the floor somehow

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Most of these are designed to install, and then the wall be built in front of them. So they carry weight to the floor - but behind the wall.

Reply to
John Rumm

That's the point. It doesn't. Consider a picture hung on the wall. The weight is borne by the foundations.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

That indeed is what I have discovered. Has anyone seen them mounted only on the wall?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I agree with the above. I stayed at a hotel in London a few years ago and there was a wall mounted bog. At a mere 18 stone the bog still had a bit of 'give' when sat upon and this didn't present for a relaxing evacuation.

Reply to
R D S

You can get wall hung WCs, (Google wall+hung+WC) they use them in hospitals for hygene reasons so the floors can be easily cleaned. But you need a very strong wall. On some metal brackets have to be built in. And they need to be load tested afterwards (before the WC is fitted.)

If your floor is so weak it needs working on, it will be unsafe.

Reply to
harryagain

All good points, but the situation I am dealing wiith is that the wall is considerably stronger than the floor.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Well thanks, but these do generally take weight on the floor, albeit behind a false wall.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

True, but it is not going to get it.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

In message , Roger Hayter writes

this one by Roca seems to be the sort of thing you are looking for

Reply to
Chris French

The difficulty is you need to accommodate the depth of the cistern behind the bowl - so unless you have the false wall in front of the cistern it kind of defeats the whole purpose of the less cluttered back to the wall look.

Reply to
John Rumm

That looks very encouraging! Thanks. I am currently trying to get some solid info from the roca site, but I suppose I can always go and look at one to clarify how it works.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Has a tech drawing

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

The idea would be to support the false wall on the frame (or nearby studs on the origiinal wall) and either leave an airgap or some sort of foam between wall and floor.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

But a picture does not put much of a moment on the wall, unlike a fully loaded loo where the centre of load is some distance away. Of course it can be done. But normally floors are strong enough to take a 20 stone person standing with their feet together. So the safe and easy solution is to take it in a structure in thrust, rather than bending.

Reply to
newshound

I think that is good advice in general. When the floor has too few joists, at excessively wide centres (and variable), of variable and inadequate depth, and the ends of some (the ones I've looked at) of them are rotten 1/2'" into the stonework then I am less sure. The fact the floor moves 1/4" when you walk across it is also less than reassuring.

No, it is not going to get replaced. The reassuring point is that the bottom of the joists is only 1.95m +-50mm above thr floor below, so there is not far to fall. The wall is quite thick and held together with 200+ year old local soil, so I reckon if I put rods through it with a plate on the outside we should be alright!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

l?

You can always locate the cistern anywhere above the pan but not directly behind it and use a long flush pipe with a pneumatic ( rubber tubing) flush control. A useful approach when space especially width is at a premium.

Reply to
Robert