Wall light shades repair

Two of three wall lights, due to long usage and heat have suffered the plasticky shades turning brown and brittle. There are also matching ceiling light shades too. The plastic bits an elongated triangle slotted into a gold metal shade frame, 6 triangles per frame. They are made from a sort of flexible clear plastic, with like a coloured lily pattern in the plastic.

I really rather would prefer to repair them, than try to source some replacement shades. I'm thinking photo copy an undamaged shade lens, print it in colour, laminate then cut to shape. I suspect the heat will distort them. Is there a better way.

Maybe replacement for these plastic parts can be bought, anyone know?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Can you still buy "cels" for stage lights?

Reply to
newshound

Nomex paper/card is the stuff. RS sell it, though not such a range as they used to...

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Gels. Modern high temp gels are thin and flexible. One of the manufacturers is Lee but if you find a local theatrical lighting supplier you should be able to see the range available. You can also buy a swatch of the gels available, IIRC transparent and frosted gels are availabl A number of years ago,

A supplier which I have used is AJS based in Rigwood, Hants.

For a school production, gels were used to make a large stained glass window for the stage as they are non flammable. Afterwards it was displayed on the hall window for a few months.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

I'd call them "gels" (short for gelatine filters). But yes, you, can.

Reply to
charles

Swatches are normally free, I've never had to pay for one.

They went bust, for the 2nd time - about 2 years ago.

Done that, too.

Reply to
charles

Previously posted here

The above are pages 3.72 to 3.77 from their catalogue The gels are on page 3.75

Reply to
alan_m

Oops yes. It's my age, you know.....

At least you were able to work out what I meant to say!

Reply to
newshound

Probably not if you use CFL or LED

Show us a pic. Your options certainly widen if you can lose the lilies. Printer ink generally fades, red especially. Etching the pattern with a laser would last.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr