wagobox

Would it be legal to extend a 6mm T&E cable with a Wagobox if the box is under the floorboards? There seem to be differing opinions out there. TIA

Reply to
stuart noble

Ah, found a pdf from WB that explains things (I think). 773-173 is for

6mm and is classed as maintenance free
Reply to
stuart noble

6mm2 is a bit chunky for a Wagobox.

Why not just use either a double surface 45mm backbox and a blanking plate screwed to a joist and clip the cable near each entry which fulfils the IET regs on cable restraint. Use the Wago connectors inside this. Or regular terminals if accessible (floorboards usually are deemed so). Or yellow crimps if you have access to a proper ratchet tool?

Personally, and I like Wagos, I am not sure if I would trust them for

6mm2. They seem very much pitched at light loads, lighting, industrial control and that sort if thing.

Me - I'd crimp even if I had to shell out for a decent crimp tool.

Reply to
Tim Watts

If it satisfies the regs, it's the wagobox for me! No room for more tools :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

I think I'd trust a terminal block more :) Satisfies the regs as under floorboards is deemed accessible.

Reply to
Tim Watts

What's the fuse/MCB on the circuit?

The max current capacity of 6mm^2 T&E (depending on other factors) is

47A but the de-rated capacity of wago terminals with 6mm^2 cable within a wago box is 32A.
Reply to
Andy Burns

The consumer unit says NB30 30A type 2

Reply to
stuart noble

The old Wylex?

Reply to
ARW

The 733-173 claims to be good for 41A.

What am I missing?

Reply to
ARW

The last row of Table 1

Reply to
Andy Burns

One of the documents I found a while back only guaranteed them for 1 year, unless the current was quite low. 6mm cable does not normally indicate low current.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

For a high current use I'd be inclined to solder and heat shrink, using the double box etc as suggested, particularly for a simple "extension". I have proper ratchet crimp tools, but at the lower end of the price range.

In fact for underfloor, wouldn't it be OK to solder and heat shrink, with a liberal overwrap of pvc tape as long as nail-in cable clips were used to provide strain relief.

Reply to
newshound

Indeed. Ain't broken so ain't gonna be fixed!

Reply to
stuart noble

Ta. And OMG.

Reply to
ARW

I suppose since the O/P's circuit is fused at 30A it doesn't matter anyway, but if it had been higher, it would come down to whether below floorboards is classed as an MF location, if not the wagobox doesn't have to be de-rated ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I imagine laminate flooring has made many previously accessible locations inaccessible in practice

Reply to
stuart noble

Relaid some recently for one of my lads, not sure it's much more difficult to lift and replace than fitted carpet.

Reply to
newshound

Well I guess most accessories also only have a years guarantee, defective manufacture sort of things. Or does the Wago guarantee include "reliabilty" of the connections?

True enough or it could just be rather long and required to avoid volt drop.

Personally I'm not sure I trust these type of push on connectors, contact area just seems too small. For joining 6 mm I think I'd go for a suitabley sized bit of terminal strip, and push the wires right through so each one is held by both screws. House it in a backbox with blank plate.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

En el artículo , Dave Liquorice escribió:

+1.

The Americans tried this with "backstab" (push-in) connectors but they were unreliable and caused many fires.

+1. Or use a crimp large enough to place both wires in, overlapping, and use the proper tool to do it up. Both methods maximise the contact area of the wires.
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Indeed.

I would use Wagos on lighting and CH - they lend themselves to that type of application - very low currents and many many joints, often in "inaccessible" places. There, having a spring contact offers some tangible benefits over a screw terminal which may work loose.

But I would not even be too happy about Wagos on anything classed as a "power circuit", particularly on a multi stranded T+E cable which is unlikely to have enough force to bite down on all the strands.

Reply to
Tim Watts