Visible join on Kitchen Ceiling....

Currenlty doing up my old council semi and have stripped the Kitchen out in preperation for the Plasterer arriving on Monday to skim coat the walls. Problem I have is the ceiling...... it will not be skimmed along with the walls and there is quite clearly visible tape from where the plasterboard was joined originally

See picture -

would you recommend the best solution to rectify this? Arranging and paying for the ceiling to be skimmed seems excessive, would it be possible to remove the tape and use a filler with flexibility then smooth it off and repaint?

Although it may not look it in the picture, the rest of the ceiling is smooth, it's just the couple of lines of tape which are visible that cause the problem

Any advice is appreciated

Jonni

PS: Incidentallly - I am also considering the 2 day plastering course offered by these guys - any comments?

jonni

I don't think you can get rid of that *without* skimming the ceiling. Anything else would be spoiling the ship for a hap'th of tar!

In my view, plastering is one of those skills which you only acquire after doing a *lot* of it. Doing the occasional DIY job isn't sufficient to keep your hand in. I have to confess that if I need to plaster anything bigger than one square foot, I pay someone to do it for me!

Reply to
Set Square

I wouldn't touch the existing tape. Just get a caulking tool, similar to

use this to spread ordinary filler over the joint. Although there will obviously be a small lump over the join, in practice the slope can be so gradual that it is not noticeable when finished.

This is what *ought* to have been done when the tape was originally applied.

Regards Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I would arrange for the ceiling to be skimmed. It's not going to add much to the cost if the plasterer is turning up anyway.

Aldershot Building Centre, which was excellent. That one was done in groups of 16 people. They also did a 5 day plastering course, and the full C&G course. Trouble is they're usually booked up a year in advance, and they didn't take bookings any further out than that. I got on it by going onto a standby queue saying I could fill in at a days notice.

Nearer to you, you might also try Barnfield College in Luton. They certainly used to do brick laying, and probably do plastering too. They were good for the C&G electrical courses I did some ~8 years ago. There's also Dunstable College, but that seems to be rather disorganised, and has had some bad press where people who've done courses leading to qualifications have failed to get the qualification because of screwups by the college and/or lecturers.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel