varying arrangment of screws/holes out mains socket

Look at virtually anything where there is a connector on wire. Never soldered, always crimped. If soldering was better for this application such terminals would be soldered.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

switched Legrand socket of unknown age (not too old IMHO).

I believe CEF sell them. Of course a newer version might have a different layout:-(

Good luck mate.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

And the OP would be needing to change an old socket on a new build?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks ;-)

As it happens I own both a ratchet crimp tool and several soldering irons.

Like you, I am corfortable that my original idea is the best first plan.

But then thread drift is the lifeblood of Usenet ...

Cheers J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

Very helpful, thanks. That's a switched outlet then? It certainly should be close enough - if it won't fit that then I might have to try one of these new-fangled crmiping or slodeirng techniques I am hearing so much about here...

Cheers J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

They are switched.. No idea if double or single pole.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

joint (since the earth wire is unsleeved in the rest of the cables)?

Reply to
Adam Funk

Utter c*ck. I've been soldering for 40 years and now prefer crimping where it's viable/accessible.

Reply to
grimly4

You could probably do without it in that circumstance, but it was included for completeness. Hopefully the shrouded part of each crimp will cover the bared ends of the L&N, but there is always a chance a bit might be peeking out, so sleeving the earth removes any possibility of it making contact.

Reply to
John Rumm

i dint prefer either. they have different strengths and weaknesses which a lifetime of mucking about with electronics absolutely highlights

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's not about making the joint - more about how long it lasts. Which is why the military don't use lead free solder.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Given the PCB is soldered, why would it save money to crimp connectors to wire?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wouldn't have thought that longevity of their kit would be of primary importance to the military since they seem to replace it every few years - I shouldn't think there are many 19 sets still in active (military) service.

I still wouldn't touch lead-free solder with a bargepole. It's a pity that Maplins don't sell proper solder (although I still have a largeish stash from my working days. Probably enough to see me out.)

:-))

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Maplin are no longer a serious electronics supplier. Places like CPC, RS, Rapid etc all sell leaded solder.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is loads of mil kit about in service that has been there for decades. Basic stuff like radios etc can be expected to last for ages.

Easy enough to get the proper stuff from CPC etc.

Reply to
John Rumm