Vaguely OT:Merkin for the stuff you use in electrical circuits

We say "Solder", they seem to say "Sodder" (or "Soder" ?).

Noticed on an old Mythbusters yesterday.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It's being lazy. They also say 'Wadder' for water.

Reply to
Davey

I think it's them that say "solder" and us that say "sowlder"

This is getting dangerously Gershwinesque.

Reply to
Graham.

I've spent many years in the US (east coast), and haven't heard anyone pronounce the 'l' in solder.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Indeed they do, and it's one of those things I'm not sure I'll ever get used to (after a few years here I can handle things such as calling spanners wrenches, and torches flashlights :-)

The different pronunciation of chassis always catches me out too (and buoy as booey just gives me the chuckles ;)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I did not notice it myself. I'm quite enjoying the old ones as I missed them. I note Discovery has some new ones after the last new ones that were on Quest, but as I'm not a subscriber I'll wait for the reruns on Quest.

I'd imagine they do take quite an effort to produce though.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Its just accents. Adam is very good at differnt accents. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Jethro_uk :

Actually many of us say "solda". :-)

Some of them even say "sudder". It's official: see

the standard pronunciations have no L but they acknowledge that Brits say it differently.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

They say "wirenuts", we say "fire hazard"

They say "aloominum". we say "fire hazard"

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Is this deliberate marketing-ese, or is omitting the 'L' an actual spelling over there?

Theo Markettos

Torches are carried by angry villagers along with pitchforks. ;-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In message , Jethro_uk writes

And ?

they say newkiller (well, Bush used to) - apt but incorrect

aluminum, rowter, yurup also , to name a few

Reply to
geoff

In message , Brian Gaff writes

Well, it's certainly , ... different

Reply to
geoff

Interesting. My grandmother *always* pronounced it 'sodder'. She was married to a Canadian.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Mike Barnes writes

Actually - it takes a Scot to pronounce "Iron" correctly, so we'd best not get too carried away

(Geoff in not putting other nations down - shocker)

Reply to
geoff

IIRC Bush said noo-kyoo-ler

Reply to
S Viemeister

Then you remember incorrectly

Reply to
geoff

Scotsmen also pronounce "houses" as "housses" (not hooses!) rather than the more English "howzez".

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I ssupect that depends on which part of Scotland the Scotsmen come from. There isn't just one "Scotish accent".

Reply to
charles