Vacuum Time Lag Switch's

Working in an old Victorian house converted into flats today.

Very dark building, especially in the basement area. Vacuum time lag switches everywhere.

OK unless you are carrying something awkward, then the light goes off & you are in the dark.

Why don't they make the buttons luminous?

Did notice TLC do an electronic illuminated one - what a good idea.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Working in an old Victorian house converted into flats today.

Very dark building, especially in the basement area. Vacuum time lag switches everywhere.

OK unless you are carrying something awkward, then the light goes off & you are in the dark.

Why don't they make the buttons luminous?

Did notice TLC do an electronic illuminated one - what a good idea.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I used to have some electroluminescent frames that went behind lightswitches

Reply to
Graham.

These are pretty good. A few switches at work have been fitted with them and they are quite effective. Pointless now as we have PIR enabled lights (which people keep turning off grrrrrr... wish they would take the switches away!)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

In article , The Medway Handyman writes

Never seen an adjustable one of those ;-)

But have helped someone out on a large common hall stairwell install where the installed PIR lights had been set for a silly short on time. Classy building conversion but the lights were going off just as the owners were fumbling for their keys. I adjusted the on-time up for all that I could reach but the main sensor in the 25' hall was beyond the limit for a free fix.

I'd definitely put an electronic push button one on close to max timing as you never know when an old biddy might be visiting or move in. Even a

10min limit per push wouldn't bump up the bills that much.
Reply to
fred

I guess you are suggesting THM adjusted them.

They are adjustable but the adjustment is a bit fiddly as it's a tapered brass needle in a hole arrangement. Tend to go from minutes to seconds in just a few degrees movement of the screw. Not something I would touch without having plenty of time to waste. B-)

I know this as when I lived in a top floor flat I had to adjust 'em so that I had time to get up the 6 flights of stairs before they went off...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I hate PIR activated lights at work. I worked in an office that had these and to fit in with the company's site workers most people worked a four day week. Some of us sometimes worked a four and a half day week and throughout Friday morning there'd be too few people moving around in the office and the lights would keep going out sequentially. Every 15 minutes it was like a Mexican wave as someone at the far end stood up waved their arms around 'til the lights over them came on and sat down again then someone in the next pen and so on right along the office. All highly amusing at first, but after the umpteenth time extremely irritating.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I used to do a paper round and had to deliver to the top floor of one of those buildings. It was quite creepy when the lights went off.

Three doors along was same sort of house (posh terrace). That was wholly owned by someone else I delivered to - Laurence Olivier!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have a couple in the house...one on the hall light switch just inside the front door.

They're a bit creepy too....especially when you don't know they're supposed to do that. They work well when I'm walking down the corridor near your office...

Reply to
Bob Eager

No, we had been discussing the adjustability or otherwise push operated taps in another thread so it was an oblique ref.

Useful to know, ta. Think I'd go electronic now but for info, it's still common to have tenement closes on dusk til dawn using fluorescents with lower levels commonly on 24/7. Huge skylights handle the daytime lighting. A recent attempt at re lamping/ballasting with LED was a dramatic failure, too harsh and not enough light output.

This is bringing back memories, were there not ones on intermediate landings that you could press to prolong the experience :-?

Reply to
fred

Shove a match stick in them ...

Reply to