UV light for kids room?

Indeed.

Its not in the best bit of Canterbury but still surprised me that they have had much of a problem there. Still, despite the signs claiming that this is UV lighting it is a faily deep violet colour.

Darren

Reply to
dmc

ISTR that UV lamps are generally designed to emit some light at the top end of the visible spectrum. This is an aid to the "Is it on?" type of fault finding. ;-)

Reply to
Fishter

Fair enough. I think I am convinced that this is not a smart idea.

Interestingly, I was in Woolworths this morning and they are selling a "UV" cd rack. This is a fluorescent tube that glows a deep purple in the middle of a load of plastic that "glows".

Also,away from the tube idea maplin are selling a "black light UV bulb" that fits normal ES or BC fittings. The chap in the shop reckons that it is a normal 75 watt bulb with glass that just filters all but the violet and UV end and that the UV from it is no worse than the UV from any normal lightbulb. The blurb on the website states "A standard size light bulb with a special coating that produces a deep purple light and large amounts of Ultra Violet light"

Which is most likely? I assume that there are magic coatings that could convert visable to UV in which case this is not a good idea. If however it really is a normal bulb with a filter then I guess its no worse than any other bulb would be. Code KJ64U for example.

Blimey. 1.6kW visable source would be pretty blinding I would have thought! Out of interest, can I ask what this sort of intensity UV was being used for?

It would actually be near impossible for current child to access it - it would be 7 ft up in an alcove that is not visable from below at all. As he is only 2.5 yrs at the mo and there is nothing to climb on its not a major issue at the moment. I still think that I will pass on the idea though :(

It says UV on the door but is a fairly dark violet colour. I take it that this is perfectly safe then (assuming it is all visable violet)? If so, are violet tubes available at reasonable price anywhere? Maplin seem to list normal tubes and UV tubes but nowt in between. They do have coloured cold cathode tubes for PC mods though - I may have a play... :-)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Nope.

Should I? This is the stuff that lights up (well, glows) I assume - the stuff that some nightlights are made from?

Could be an option although sounds pricey. Is this something that I could get hold of easily? (away from web access at the mo - telnet only so can't search easily!)

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Used to be expensive, but showed up on the surplus market. Now it's common as muck and Maplin et al are selling it for decorating the inside of PCs. "glow string" is popular, but a little Googlejuice will find you sheets too.

F-15 fighters carry night formation marker panels made from a PCB strip about a foot long, with this EL sheet on the surface. You can fretsaw the stuff quite easily and so long as it remains connected into one piece, it still glows. To power it, I used those little inverters from ancient Newbrain laptops that Greenweld sold at "3 for a quid" for years.

Andy Dingley

1.2kW visible is almost the standard lamp in my industry. The largest I have worked with was 10kW, two of them, now that *was* bright and hot!

These are halogen arc lamps (HMI) used in the film/TV industry to match daylight colour temperature and lumen levels.

1.6kW of UV sounds lethal to anything in range to me. Sterilisation of surfaces?
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , dmc writes

I think "blacklight" tubes are what you are after, which as far as I know, are perfectly safe, having had all the harmful wavelengths filtered out in the lamp coating. Our local B&Q warehouse sells them, they fit in standard fluorescent fittings. The light is a fairly deep blue/violet colour and causes things to fluoresce.

The "UV" incandescent lamps are a bit feeble to say the least. You only get the very small amount of UV which all incandescent lamps produce.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Yep - I am pretty sure now that that is what I want. What I am still not entirely clear on is how safe these are. Some people seem to say no - loads of people say that they are fine. Unfortunatly, most of the places that claim they are fine are places selling them so they have interest!

As there is so much doubt as to their safety I think I'll give up :(

Thats interesting. I hadn't even considered that B&Q might have some - I was looking to mail order. I will pop in and have a look at what the packing says - if its got dire health warnings then I suspect its game over :-(

Ok, Another idea shot down :-)

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
dmc

sounds quite doable. Standard filament bulbs are extremely inefficient at producing uv. I have seen violet filamet bulbs before, but they dont produce much of anything. Theyre very dim even in violet, let alone uv. Theyre used in el cheapo flykillers. White bulbs are just as effective, but of course people will pay more for something that looks more like a proper flykill unit.

no, you can only go from shorter to longer wavelength.

true if used under the same lighting conditions, with the same amount of shading. But if used in the dark, with eyes wide open, not so. But ordinary filament bulbs produce so little uv I doubt theres any concern even then.

yup, accepted. the only problem with that argument is that kids have a tendency to do things long before their parents think its even possible.

ok, probly is then.

if its low power, spread over a tube's area, low ferqwuency uv, and used in a well lit room with people only spending limited time there, then it will be perfectly safe. Course I'm assuming they havent got

1.6kW of it going :)

Long time since I bought any out of the ordinary tubes, and I've tended to use either halogens or mercury arcs for uv. For most tube type apps, halogens are cheaper and easier.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Oh you sound so caring I wish you were my dad. Will you adopt me?

Reply to
Suz

Hmm. Are you house trained?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hi. They were carbon arc parabolic reflector focussed beam lights,

1.6kW arcs. Not 1.6kW of uv, but still enough uv to blind instantly if you caught them unfocussed, and I expect they'd blind permanently if you got caught up with the focussed beam.

One part of the construction was open so you had to be _very_ aware of where you walked. I think the H&S people would wet themselves nowadays.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Especially if you wash your hair in DAZ.

DG

Reply to
derek