Using a Stelrad radiator on its side

Hi All,

We have a short fat Stelrad radiator (I thought it was an Accord, but looking at there website it might be a Vita). We now need a tall thin radiator instead.

Is it possible to use the existing one on its side? Or would it not work efficiently?

If it is possible, is there a commercially available kit of brackets to hang it with?

TIA

Chris

Reply to
cpvh

If you can find a way to mount it, then it will work. If its a type with heatsink fins on the back / or between panels, then you would probably see a drop in performance since you won't get the same convection airflow though the fins.

A couple of steel rods or strips passed through the existing loops may allow it to be hung on the existing brackets.

Reply to
John Rumm

Although much less efficiently. Even specifically designed vertical radiators are about 50% less efficient than horizontal ones and this one will be even worse.

Reply to
Huge

What size are you after? Just looked at an Ultraheat leaflet from when I bought mine, and they do a conventional in 700 or 900 high by 200, 300, 400, etc wide.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Just have the water exit at what is now the top and all is well. Use your brain to figure out how to mount it of course.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

But if both fittings are in line (i.e. what would have originally been the bottom of the rad) then the water will convect straight up to the return pipe with very little flowing through the rest of the rad body and very little useful heat given off.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

There is flow through the rest, just slower than the pump driven flow path. You're right that it's not the ideal layout, but it's workable. End user may need to open the LSV further compared to having it the usual way up.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yup. Done this in the past when I was very short of cash, still working OK. In a hidden location where appearance doesn't matter. Only you can decide.

Reply to
newshound