UPS?

The Requested Page Does Not Exist

Reply to
RobH

sorry, stick a trailing slash on the URL

Reply to
Andy Burns

yep, that works:

RobH

Are you saying the CSB's are twice the price, doesn't seem so?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes £200 vs £94

APC 1x £373, CSB 4x £50, Yuasa 4x £42, Powerline 2x £47

you might find the first three +/-a few quid elsewhere, and the first one you don't need to swap the fuses/anderson connectors over, but That's only a 10 minute job.

Andy Burns

Right!, see now what you mean but at around half price are we comparing like for like?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Well, the previous powerline set lasted a month short of 5 years, which is about the same I see from all UPS batteries ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

So either these are very good ones probably without the advertising budget and such that surrounds the others if thats all true;)..

Does anyone do online field tests and reviews of batteries?, the AA ones i get from Toolstation came out very well in a battery comparison test!...

Reply to
tony sayer

There's something odd here. How come a lead-acid can handle loads of vibration, shock currents of several hundred amps, temperature swings of

50 degrees and last over 10 years in a car, yet in a UPS with no vibration, no shock currents and a steady temperature only manages half that?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

A couple of cars previous, 57 reg, needed a new battery before I chopped it in for an 11 reg, so only about 3½ years.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Buy a laptop.

Reply to
harry

The battery in my UPS lasted ten years.

The secret is to shut down the computer immediately when on battery power, then shut off the UPS.

Shallow discharges = long life.

And it helped that the float charge was bang on.

We'll see how long the replacement lasts.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

This might provide a long UPS life, but defeats about half of the reason for using a UPS in the first place.

#Paul

Reply to
#Paul

The purpose is to do a clean shutdown.

For a short failure, the UPS beeps and I don't have to do anything. It rides through.

If the power stays off, I assume it's off for a while and do a shutdown.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I have it set up to keep running, then shut all the stuff on that UPS when there's about 5 minutes left.

I may not be there, after all.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That is certainly the conventional wisdom of UPS use. But my mains power is subject to brief interruptions (sub-seconds to a few seconds) nearly every month and often runs of half a dozen a day; or prolonged breakdowns lasting hours when someone has to do something to fix the line. Rarely anything in between. In this case I find a maximum UPS run time of about a minute gets me through the short ones, and there is no point (to me, especially if I am not there) in running the UPS down for ten minutes in the long ones because after one minute the power almost never comes back within that time. Also running the battery right down leaves one in a risky place if the power goes on and off a few times more, which is not infrequent; if the battery is a bit dodgy it may not last long enough to safely shutdown on low battery then. So shutdown after 1 minute (or possibly 2) is optimal for my use case.

Reply to
Roger Hayter