Under tile heating

I've just bought myself a 3m^2 under tile heating kit, and it has raised a couple of questions :

1) at ~100w/m^2 this thing is only going to draw 300w when it is on. Do i wire this into the lighting circuit, or run a spur from the ring main fused at 3A?

2) Where should I put the digital timer thermostat thingy. The Mrs is keen for it to go at shoulder level as per central heating thermostat, but I think it should be discretely placed 150mm or so above the skirting.

3) Okay, so (2) was a matter of opinion, but where should the thermostat go? Can it safely go in the bathroom, given that you only operate the low voltage digitial i/f, and even then you'd only do it once in a blue moon. Or, shoult it be outside the bathroom, as per the light switch

Cheers,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Styles

Based on the Heatmap units:

2) You need it at a height which will allow you to see the display and change temp etc easily. 150cm is recommended and on my thermostat the display is angled up slightly.

3) The IP rating of the unit and which zone (1,2,3 or unzoned) will determine where you can mount it . Heatmap seem to indicate it should be in the unzoned area. If you can safely install it in the bathroom you can then use the room temperature sensor (and the undertile sensor) to control the heating. Robert

Reply to
robert

A fused spur from the ring main would be the better option. The underfloor heating may need to be RCD protected. If your ring main is already RCD protected then you are fine. If not use an RCD fused spur. The earth of the underfloor heating should also be part of the supplementary bonding in the bathroom. (Google this group for lots of info on this)

If the thermostat and timer are a combined unit and work at 230volts then if it is to be used in the bathroom it must be outside the zones.

should help.

I have only fitted a few of these underflor heating packs and they have always had a thermostat that is laid into the tiles with a seperate programmer.

HTH

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth