UK mains plug sleeved pins - pointless

I fitted those all over the house here, but I've replaced most of them now with the kind where you not only have to insert the bulb, but it has to be rotated to lock before the circuit is completed.

Reply to
Bob Eager

  • is a good idea.

IIRC theatre lighting never switches them on instantly, they're all on d= immers, so they're brought up slowly, even if only over a fraction of a = second as you slide or turn the dial.

-- =

If you own a =A33,000 machine gun and a =A35,000 rocket launcher, but yo= u can't afford shoes, you may be a Muslim.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Not dangerous though, just a nuisance for the owner of ther house/office where you trip a circuit.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Softy.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You can't catch them, they're inside it. The outside is earthed, or not connected. It's not easy to accidentally insert your finger inside a socket while changing a bulb. Your fingers are not extended while changing a bulb for a start, they're wrapped round the glass of the bulb, a good few inches away from the socket. And your other hand is grasping the fitting from the other side.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Is that because they have all been electrocuted? :-)

Reply to
Nightjar

Indeed. When I worked on stage lighting for school plays when I was in the

6th form, it was drummed into us that we should always fade up the lamps rather than using switches, and that if we used the master kill switch to achieve an instant total blackout, to reset all the faders to 0 before turning it back on. The biggest load was not the theatre lights, but the house lights in the hall - probably about 30 high-power tungsten bulbs in shades. There was an enormous 3 ft square housing with a big wheel on it - a resistive dimmer - and we were warned to turn it *quickly* from full on to full of or vice versa, and not to leave it on half power any longer than we had to because it would get hot. Boys being boys, we tried it - and in the darkness of the wings, we could see the resistive wires glowing cherry red within about 5 seconds at half power and there was a stench of burning dust.

It's ironic that the school paid a lot of money on a new lecture theatre with lots of thyristor-controlled lights which could be operated by one person using little sliders on a control panel, but it was very rarely used for plays because there were no wings for actors to appear from. Instead all the school plays were in the hall which had ancient wire-wound faders that were each about 2 feet long and very stiff to move: it needed several people to operate all the faders, because three was the maximum that one person could push using a short length of wood to slide several faders in sync.

Reply to
NY

Don't tell Harry ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

People make far too much fuss over electricity, I've received 240 volts many times and it never killed me. And yes some were when I was a child. Children are not different to us, they can handle the same voltage.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I had a narrowboat once that had mains inlets at both ends (for convenience ). these were the '3 pin plug inside a waterproof housing' type. Both the se inlets were wired together (not by me). So if you connected mains to on e of them then the projecting pins of the other became live. It had passed many boat safety tests in this condition.

rmlaws54

Why should anyone stupid enough to stick their fingers in one of those be protected? Let's clean up the gene pool.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yes, people make far too much fuss over children.

Reply to
Max Demian

It wasn't so bad when I was younger. A few people had those silly plastic pretend plugs in sockets to cover them when not in use, but that was about it. Any child clever enough to have access to screwdrivers knew what electricity was anyway.

As a child I'd go windsurfing in the local lake (hiring a windsurf from the park rangers) in a pair of shorts. Nowadays people think even adults will die if they get a bit chilly. I remember all of us shivering quite hard when we did it in spring for a few hours. One ranger once asked me why I wasn't wearing a wetsuit - he said "how are you going to keep warm?" - I said "why would I want to keep warm?" and he just looked at me confused. The wetsuits didn't work anyway, I was no colder without one as wetsuits let the water straight through. I especially didn't want to wear one when my friend told me when he needed a piss he just did it inside the wetsuit. It probably rinsed away fairly quickly but.... YUCK!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yeah like students there's loads of them, so plenty of spares.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Some still don't though even after growing up.

Park rangers in shorts now that might encourage me to take up running fast.

Well some do die from cold, others might die from heat, some from other causes including stupidity.

Then why were yuo shivering if yuo didn;t want to keep warm, try thinking about this before you answer.

I'll give you a couple of months......

I think that would be a common reaction.

You have to know how to put them on first.

I'd be more concerned over what has gone in the water over the last few decades than my own piss. But then again as you can't see what is actually there you'll say it doesn't exist.

Reply to
whisky-dave

JWS seems to revel in not feeling the cold - or at least, not *minding* the cold. Maybe he thinks that this makes other people look upon him as a hard man; in my case, it just makes me think that he's a prat.

"Why would I want to keep warm" - if he has to ask that question, I think he makes my point. Human beings try to maintain a fairly constant body temperature, by reflexive actions like shivering or sweating, and by conscious actions like wearing or removing clothes, or by living on a house that is heated by a fire or by central heating, or cooled by air drafts or air conditioning. JWS's body evidently needed to warm itself up - that's why it was shivering - but his brain denied this.

If JWS doesn't *mind* being so cold that he shivers, then bully for him - as long as he doesn't project those rather way-out beliefs onto anyone else.

Reply to
NY

He claims not to feel cold, that shows lack of sense both physical ability and mental capacity.

Well some of us have come to the conclusion that he is a prat no thinking r equired ;-)

But in his defence his brain denies many true things so he suffers from som e mental process that most of us accept nature doing what comes natural it; s all part of survivil of the fitest to enable the lifeform to further prog ress where it might have failed in the past.

It's rather like listening to David Icke and his theory that the royal fami ly are reptiles. I just hope Megan M isn't affraid of snakes otherwise she's in for a supris e on her wedding night.

Reply to
whisky-dave

If harry hasnt shagged it senseless already he isnt half the man I thought he was

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would have thought that she has already "met" the Royal Trouser Snake.

Reply to
NY

Brings to mind the 1980s SF TV series 'V', about reptilian alien invaders who wore an extra skin to look human. Or some lizards, who have two penes.

Reply to
Max Demian